• avatar alaskanj 12/02/10 6:43 pm PST

You asked a very vague question and gave very few details... But with what you have said so far, Id be guessing that the alternator is out and you drained your battery.... You should post what the dealership has to say what is wrong so the rest of us can sleep tonight and not be so curious bout the situation...

Answers

• alaskanj 12/02/10 6:43 pm PST

• mc1email 12/03/10 2:14 am PST

I had the Yukon towed to my dealer. They have not looked at it yet. My reason for asking the question is that I will feel more comfortable with some thoughts in hand when I hear the response from the dealer. Having read quite a few online comments about similar situations that have turned into recurring nightmares, I fear having the car stop again when I have my Wife and handicapped adult child in the car. I hope that the problem can be fixed.
    This was the first time this car has suddenly stopped. The battery still provided power but the car would not even turn over the starter or do anything but cause a small sound under the dash near the passenger side.
    The Yukon has 77K miles and has always run well. However, the check engine light comes on from time-to-time without apparently affecting the performance. When I had that checked at the dealer before, they replaced a oxygen sensor on the exhaust and the check engine light came back on within days.

• alaskanj 12/03/10 2:24 pm PST

that click you hear under the hood is the starter relay, you dont have enough voltage probably because the alternator is bad... you will have some voltage but not enough to turn your starter, let alone enough for the computer to operate.... They can load test the alternator at the shop....

• mc1email 12/03/10 2:32 pm PST

Thank you for the reply. Am still waiting for the shop to call back. I live in a small area and the single car dealer (Chevy) stays busy. I had the car towed in and they said that they might get to it by this afternoon.
    If the alternator is the problem, I suspect that they are quite expensive. I don't have a choice but to fix it since snow is coming and I need the 4X4 functionality.

• mc1email 12/05/10 6:38 am PST

I stopped by the dealership to check on the Yukon. They had pinned down the problem but had not called me to advise of the proposed resolution. They will order the part on Monday and we will see if that fixes everything to include the periiodic Check Engine light.

They pinned the problem to a bad PCM (computer). They found the blown fuse and fixed it and the car started and almost immediately blew another fuse. The new PCM will cost $913 installed incl. labor. I don't know if that is high or low, but I have to go with it.

Thanks for your assistance. I will advise soon if the new PCM does fix the problem and put my mind at ease about using the car again.

• mc1email 12/22/10 11:43 am PST

This item was closed but I will provide follow-on info. After replacing the PCM the dealer said that they found a short in a fuel system relay. They replaced the fuel pump and filter and the PCM for $886. There was no check engine light for two days and then it showed up again. I went back to the dealer and they now say I need a MAF sensor. That will be $350 more. I previously had a light that caused a oxygen sensor to be replaced. It sounds like I may never get through replacing parts because of check engine lights. I think I will trade the Yukon in and get a new model so there will be 100K warranty.

• isellhondas 12/24/10 9:41 am PST

You may be overreacting and throwing away a perfectly good car.

Things happen and sometimes it's like a string of firecrackers going off. Expensive firecrackers.

Chances are good your troubles are behind you now.

Top Electrical Experts View More