• avatar dellborg 01/22/08 5:46 pm PST

I found that on my 2001 Isuzu Redoe Sport that their was a cable running from the shift release button to the top of the ignition switch. The bracket holding the cable housing had come loose from the mount just in front of the ignition switch and the screw had fallen down and was sitting in the bottom of the dash bracket. Once I put the screw back in shifted into drive and then back to park I was able to remove the key.

Answers

Gently jiggling the steering wheel while turning the key is the usual advice, but you've probably tried that.

A member in the Isuzu Rodeo Shift Lock Control discussion was able to free the stuck key in his Rodeo by squirting WD-40 in the lock cylinder (link below).

There should be a shift interlock bypass (check your manual for the location - often it's a little hole on the steering column). Try sticking a narrow screwdriver in the bypass hole and see if that will release the key.

Some Aztec owners with stuck keys were told by Pontiac to shift in and out of Park several times to free the key. Poor battery connections or a weak battery have been an issue with Azteks, Cobalts and other makes with stuck keys as well.

Source: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct
    /...

• jerryp49 01/22/08 11:11 am PST

I had the same problem with my 2002 Isuzu Axiom from time to time. I found that if I put the shifter into park then flick the shifter release button several times while it is still running, that the key could then be turned all the way back to lock and removed.

Give it a try. I think it has to do with the release cable adjustment.
    Good Luck!
    Jerry

• dieseldaryl 01/22/08 5:31 pm PST

Your key lock is probably wore out. Otherwise try looking to see if the key is turning all the way back. Rock the steering wheel maybe? I have a shop in Wyoming, does that help?

• dellborg 01/22/08 5:46 pm PST

• kikisullivan 08/10/09 1:49 am PST

I can't tell you how much money and time you saved me!

I did exactly what you suggested and I was able to remove the key from my 1999 Isuzu Trooper.
    I checked to make sure that the cable which runs from the stick shift/emergency brake was connected then followed the cable to the ignition key. I checked up under the dash behind the steering wheel and low and behold the cable was loose.

Thank you….Kathleen

• taychin 06/02/11 7:32 pm PST

I have a 2001 isuzu rodeo too (automatic) key got stuck and it was the shifter cable

Top Isuzu Trooper Experts View More

5. dellborg 55