Answers

We don't have April numbers out yet, but the March Lowest True Cost to Own® Vehicles list may be of interest.

You can run our TCO numbers and compare with other cars as well.

• knowledgepower 03/31/11 7:04 pm PST

I'm responding to the one statement you made concerning your projections of the vehicle depreciation over the next five years. Even leasing companies don't always get it right on residuals. My common sense approach is would you pay $7,000 for a 5 year old vehicle with 100,000 miles on it. What I would do is appraise a 2003 Honda Civic and rate it average and it will give you an idea of how far off your figure may be. Any figure is just a guide but at lease it'll point you in the right direction. I give you props for even doing the thinking in advance like you did.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2003
    /...

• vortix1 04/01/11 3:34 pm PST

In my opinion, you're actually better off purchasing a brand new 2011 Honda Civic LX instead of the '08 Civic LX with 36k miles on it. The newly designed '12 Civic will be out soon, causing great pricing on the "old" '11 Civics. In my market (Cleveland, OH), you can get an '11 Civic LX (with automatic transmission) brand new for $16,200 or less. That's only $2,700 more than the 3-year old Civic. If you want an even better deal, you should be able to snag a brand new '11 Civic LX from a Chicago-area dealer for $15,000 or so, bringing the difference down to only $1,500. If you have good credit, you can also get 0.9% financing through American Honda Finance (good through 5/2/11). This is a unique case where buying a new car is actually a better deal than buying a 3-year old used car.

Check out the Honda Civic Prices Paid forum on edmunds.com for more real-world pricing info on new '11 Civics.

Source: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct
    /...

Great suggestion.

Saving money buying used hasn't been all that unique lately. Still seems odd though.

Some New Cars Now Cheaper Than Used Cars

Top Car Buying Experts View More