Answers

• tony78 03/06/10 1:46 am PST

How much better,,, 1%, 5%, 10% ?

Bet it can't beat a 100% better 4wd.

• morin2 03/06/10 8:45 am PST

If you don't have the right tool for the job, sometimes you can force the wrong tool to "make do", but you wouldn't buy the wrong tool intentionally.

A subaru would be limited by ground clearance in "heavy" snow, but would be far better than the Prius. For the deepest snow, 4x4 with high ground clearance would be best. AWD cars would be ok for light to moderate snow.

Every CO license plate I see in MD is attached to a subaru.

• whitey9 03/11/10 12:13 pm PST

There is not a heck of a lot of clearance between the bottom of the Prius and the road. How "tall" is the snow where you live? Who was it that told you the "new" Prius was better in the snow than the older models? A salesman? HA! Get one of those little Subaru SUVs, the Forester I think. There is a difference between AWD and 4WD.
    What is wrong with the brand(s) you used to own and drive? We summer in CO, but winter in TX.

• justjack1 03/11/10 1:22 pm PST

My SUV is fine in the snow but the idea of getting 45+mpg is very appealing and taking advantage of the toyota incentives right now seemed like a good idea. The snow doesn't get deep often but can be heavy at times over the mountain passes to go skiing.

• whitey9 03/11/10 6:27 pm PST

From a pure ground clearance point of view, the Prius is 5.5". The Forester is 8.7".
    Then there is the 2WD front-drive Prius vs. the 4AWD Forester.

• whitey9 03/11/10 7:00 pm PST

I would not expect to get 45+mpg at altitude. But, your mileage would surely be higher than any SUV. My wife's Merc Mariner Hybrid gets 26 - 31mpg. AWD too. But by no means is an off-roader.

Top Toyota Prius Experts View More

4. sergelbergeron 250
7. mackabee 80