• avatar Stever@Edmunds 03/28/10 6:21 pm PST

Edmunds.com doesn't sell cars or arrange for payments on cars. Nor does Edmunds.com operate any type of escrow service for car buyers and sellers.

We link to and refer people to AutoTrader to find cars to buy. AutoTrader has a good FAQ about fradulent transactions that you should read. Then if you have more questions about the seller or the transaction you should contact them.

Fraud Awareness Tips

Answers

Fraud Awareness Tips

• boomchek 03/29/10 3:01 pm PST

Most likely you ran into a scammer claiming to work for, or be from Edmunds in order to get you to wire money to them for a vehicle, that in reality does not exist or belong to them.

One good way to find out if it's a scam is to tell the scammer you have a friend that lives in their area where the vehicle is (doesn't matter if you really do or don't) and that they would be happy to go and check out the vehicle on your behalf. Ask them when is a good time for your friend to come and see the vehicle and ask for a physical address.

See how fast excuses come out that the vehicle is not available for veiwing because it's locked in a garage, sealed in a shipping container or in a warehouse, etc.

If a deal is too good to be true, then most likely it is.

Definitely a scam.

Here's Edmunds' FAQ about escrow services.

Escrow Services for Private Party Vehicle Sales

• jbass350z 04/02/10 7:52 pm PST

I ran across the same thing today. Found a used GTR on autotrader for a stupid low price. I contacted the seller, and was greeted with a response saying that they would arrange for MSN Autos to contact me about an escrow type payment. They would ship the car and I would have 2 days to inspect it. If I decided not to keep it they would pay to have the car shipped back and the escrow would get sent back to me.... Prior to this I gave them my address and phone number. Should I be worried?

Here's an update:

Edmunds.com Shuts Down Fraudulent Web Site; Warns Online Car Shoppers of Ongoing Scams

Top Car Buying Experts View More