Answers

Have you asked for it? It might be as simple as that.

If there's nothing in writing on either side, I would think the dealer is obligated to return it, yes. Whether he'll make you jump and grovel for it, is another matter. If he doesn't play nice, notify your credit card company and they will probably reverse it. If they won't, then as a last resort, take the dealer to Small Claims Court and cut up that credit card and do business with a company that will support you.

This assumes of course that you did not sign anything to the contrary regarding a deposit refund.

• isellhondas 09/23/08 10:47 am PST

I'm sure that your deposit is refundable but let me ask you a question.

It sounds like you agreed to buy a certain car at a certain price. Hence the deposit.

Suppose the DEALER found a customer willing to pay more for that car and as a result, sent your deposit back to you?

In your case, I would suggest calling the dealer where you have placed the deposit and just let him know of the lower offer to see if he's willing to match it.

• canddmeyer 09/23/08 12:49 pm PST

Don't believe everything the new dealer tells you. It's maybe a 50% chance they're good for it, but a 50% they're lying just to get you to come on in. I'd say stick with the original dealer.

Top Car Buying Experts View More