Answers

Bad idea. 12 oil and filter changes are $360. There is not much else that needs to be done in the first 45K miles. Dealers are always dreaming up ways to make a profit off customers, especially now that they cannot make that much on selling cars. Most of what they offer is uneccessary or grossly overpriced.

What happens if the car is wrecked or stolen before 45K miles? What happens if the dealership closes or changes ownership next month? I'm skeptical of these pre-paid plans and would not do it myself.

In addition to oil changes, tire rotations are important on this AWD vehicle. I bought a 2009 outback 3 weeks ago (love it) and plan to have the dealer do the first oil change (& tire rotation) because the oil drain plug and filter are usually on so tight that the first change is difficult. But after the first one (when I'll ask them to tighten only to specs and no higher), I'll do the rest myself. Its an easy job. Subaru calls for new spark plugs at 30K miles - which has to be the earliest plug change for any modern car - not sure why so early - but it is in the manual. Also plan on the regular cabin air filter changes (about $75 each time at dealer) which are also easy to do yourself if you choose.

If you wish to use the dealer service dept, and if you are a person who pays credit card bills as they arrive, get yourself a Subaru Chase Mastercard which earns 3% on all purchases. Once you earn $100, they send you a $100 Subaru Bucks certificate - which can be redeemed on the purchase of a new or CPO subaru, accessories, parts, maintenance & repairs at the dealer. You can accumulate $2000 in Subaru Bucks, $500 per year.

• morin2 04/14/09 9:13 am PST

I don't have my owner's manual in front of me, but there are a few other services subaru indicates at 30K miles along with the new spark plugs and numerous "inspections". The brake fluid flush, maybe a coolant flush, and a new fuel filter. The cost should still not get to $1300 and you can have the work done at an independent usually for less money. You did not mention which Outback - and the services indicated in the manual vary with the model, since there are 3 engine possibilities for this vehicle - the 2.5, 2.5 turbo and 3.0H6.

You'll do about 6 or 7 tire rotations before the oem tires are worn out, depending on how you drive. That's about $200 for all the rotations. For about half that expense, you can go to your favorite tire dealer with your new car and buy a road hazard waranty that includes lifetime rotations for the oem tires that are on the car. That's pre-paid maintenance that might be more worthwhile.

• rnixon 04/18/09 12:55 pm PST

No, they are a form of insurance and therefore a premium has to be made. No real chance of surprises coming up on routine maintainence, so you're better off putting the same amount of money in a savings account dedicated to car maintainence and you'll probably get maintainence for another year more than they were trying to sell you for what you put in the account. The only difference that might be seen, is if they were offering you a 20% (or similar) discount on maintainence services to buy it, then it might be worth a look.

• ponderosapine 04/06/11 7:45 pm PST

ABSOLUTELY NOT. I've done the math... and checked out costs with a certified Subaru mechanic. Even assuming you do drive enough to accumulate 45,000 miles in 36 months, total cost for all these services would be less than $1,000 . The plan costs $1,324! I was given a cost comparison sheet by my sales person that implied all these services would cost over $2,000 without this maintenance plan, so it looked like a really good deal. When I got home I looked closer and found this isn't true. For example: it lists an oil-change required at 3,750 miles (and other intervals) costing $39.95. At 7,500 miles (and other intervals) a tire rotation is required in addition to the oil change… in that instance the oil change plus tire rotation (per his comparison-sheet) costs $159. Oil change $39.95 + $119.05 for a tire rotation???? That doesn’t make sense. And there were other, similar weird and unlikely costs. What a rip-off! I had been convinced by the salesperson to buy the plan, now I have to try to get my money back. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PLAN.

Top Car Warranties Experts View More