• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 08/04/08 12:21 pm PST

I think your friend has gotten some wrong info. I just priced tires for a 2001 Mazda Protege ES 2.0, size 195/50-16 and there are some very good quality tires available in the $75-100 range. You can buy very expensive tires for this car but these are competition tires and even THOSE don't cost $1000.

Unless this car is being auto-Xed or something, I don't see why you can't get good quality tires mounted on all four of the OEM 16 inch wheels for under $500.

This is a lot better solution than dropping wheel size, which degrades handling and causes speedometer errors.

If the car is being used in competition, then the owner really can't complain about prices--that's what it costs to race.

Answers

• mz6greyghost 08/04/08 1:06 pm PST

Costs aside, you can easily convert to 15" wheels/tires without issue.

According to Tirerack, the Protege was equipped with 205/45-16s. If you go with 15" wheels, go with 195/55-15s. The conversion will make your speed error less than 1% too fast, which means that when your speedometer reads 60 MPH, you are actually travelling at 59.5 MPH, a negligible difference, and well within the 2% rule that most wheel/tire installers use when changing wheel sizes.

Plug the Protege into the tire finder at Tirerack, and they'll give you a lot of inexpensive choices for quality tires, both in 15" and 16" sizes. I've used them for years without any problems or surprises.

Source: www.Tirerack.com

Top Tires Experts View More