• avatar karjunkie 10/28/09 8:37 am PST

I have not heard of any revision to the water pump on this engine. However, I do think that changing the timing chains and tensioners is a good idea. You have to remove them anyway to get at the water pump on this engine and once you are in there, changing the chain and tensioners is a smart thing to do if you plan to keep this car for awhile. Nonetheless, I don't think they should have charged you an extra 500 bucks for that. There was no more labor involved and the parts certainly could not have cost 500 bucks!

Answers

• a1cmugs 10/28/09 11:07 pm PST

Here is a letter of events and the one I am going to send to Chrysler when I can get a email address to a CEO.

2001 Chrysler Sebring and Benny Boyd Chrysler.. 28 Oct 2009

Being a auto mechanic, I checked out my 2001 Chrysler Sebring for a noise I was hearing and determined the noise to be in at the timing chain area. The noise inside the timing chain cover area sounded like a water pump or timing chain. I also noted there was a puddle of water under the car.

On 23 Oct I called Benny Boyd Chrysler and spoke to the service manager and asked what it cost to have a water pumped replaced in a 2001 Chrysler Sebring.

He quoted to me over the phone that it would cost $1089.00.

I called Auto Zone Auto parts to ask what it cost for a water pump for the Sebring convertible. AutoZone quoted me $75.00..

On 26 Oct at 0715Hrs I spoke to the service manager at Benny Boyd about checking out the 2001 Chrysler Sebring to see what the noise was. At around 10am on 26 Oct I received a call from the service manager telling me that the mechanic did not hear a noise from the timing chain cover area but did notice there was water seepage around the water outlet on top of the engine. I explained to the service manager that I knew about the water seepage but to tell the mechanic to run the car and after it warms up turn it off and let it sit of about 15-30 mins and he will hear the noise from the timing chain cover.

At 16:30 the same day I did not hear from the service manager so I drove to Benny Boyd Chrysler and arrived there around 17:15 hrs where I seen and spoke to the service manager. I asked the service manager if the noise was found and he told me yes and that they would not know for sure what it was until they went into the timing chain cover. The only thing in the timing chain cover was the Timing chain, Chain slack adjuster and Water pump. I told him I am pretty sure it’s the water pump but in any case I knew the price he quoted me was $1089.00 for the water pump replacement and to go ahead and put a timing chain in as well beings they have to remove the old timing chain anyway to get to the water pump. Beings they have to tear onto the engine I wanted to know what it would cost at the max because my dad was sending me the money for the repair.

The service manager figured it up and told me that it would not be over $1400.00 max for replacing the chain, slack adjuster and pump. I told him fine and go ahead tear into it.

On 27 Oct around 1300 hrs I received a call from the service manager and he stated to me that they received a new water pump and the mechanic said this was a redesigned water pump and the old pump is not available anymore and this means that the engine will need to have 3 chains, 3 adjusters replaced because the pump drive sprocket was not the same. I asked him again why can’t the old style be put back in. The service manager told me that Chrysler did not make the old pump anymore and that all the newer Sebring’s had the newer pump but not the ones like mine. I asked if Chrysler had a recall on my model because of the redesigned pump and he said NO. I told him why didn’t he tell me from the beginning about the price difference and he told me he didn’t know about the design change in the pump until they got it and the mechanic said it was changed. I told the service manager that I didn’t have the money for the additional cost and that my Dad was sending me $1400.00 to cover the job and I didn’t have any more money. I also told the service manager I can go to AutoZone and get the water pump for $75.00. The service manager said but the warranty would not cover the water pump or Labor in case it went out. I told him AutoZone had a life time warranty on the part and I would have to take a chance on it because I didn’t have the extra money and the pump is a lot cheaper than Chryslers water pump and then I would not need to replace but 1 chain and adjuster and not the additional 2 chains and adjuster. The service manager placed me on hold then return and said that not to worry about the $1610.00 and they could do it for the quoted price of $1400.00.. The service manager said he needed to get off the phone right now so he could get the rest of the parts ordered so it would be in on the 28th of Oct and the car could be finished. I told the service manager thanks and we hung up the phone.

The same day around 1700 hrs I called the service manager and again thanked him for keeping the quoted price and also to save me all the old parts.

I wanted to see the 3 Chains, 3 adjusters, Crank Shaft gear and old water pump that he says HAD TO BE REPLACED and this is why the price would have been $1610.00.

On 28 October 2009 at around 1700 hrs I received a call from the service manager saying the car is ready to be picked up. I told the service manager I can’t get it right now because I am still waiting for the check from my Dad. The service manager said you mean the $1400.00. I said yes and if it gets here on 29 Oct then I will be there to get the car then.

At the time of this letter I have not gotten the car yet but when I pick it up and the old parts then I can expect to see, 3 Chains, 3 Slack adjusters, 1 Crank shaft gear and maybe 2 cam shaft gears because the service manager told me they had to be replaced because of the new designed water pump. If not then someone needs to explain to me why the service manager told me the older pump was not available from Chrysler and that I needed to pay extra for the additional parts, and if the old pump was available then why I had to pay extra for parts I did not need. (SUCKERING THE CUSTOMER) for more money than necessary.

My feelings towards your repair center is very soured and I feel I can not depend on your honesty and Trust for service on my Chrysler Products. I placeed my trust in Benny Boyd for Honesty and Reliability in service. This is why I chose to pay your rates and not take it to a outside garage for repairs. Now I feel you are no better than some of the crooks at the local garages.

I own 2 Dodge vehicles (2001 Chrysler Sebring and 2006 Dodge Ram 3500) and I rely on them because of their sturdiness and reliability and I would expect the same quality in the workmanship at your repair services.

Tommie

Great letter Tom! I would love to know what they respond as this is a key issue with buying a new Dodge for many of the folks that come to Edmunds.com. Best of luck!

• a1cmugs 10/30/09 6:15 am PST

I picked up the car and had a talk with the service manager the Service Manager. I asked him for the old parts and while he was getting the parts I proceeded to the payment counter. The lady presented me with the bill and it was for exactly $1400.00 including the tax. So Dodge was true to their word about sticking to the quote. When I looked at the Bill it said that 1 Chain, 1 adjuster, 1 Water pump was replaced. The service manager shows up with the old parts in a closed box. I look at the service manager and asked him. "Where is the 3 slack adj, 3 Chains, crankshaft gear that was supposed to be changed for the upgraded water pump, it only shows 1 on the receipt"

The service manager says I dont know but I will check on it. So while he was gone I checked the box of old parts. In the box was, 1 Chain, 1 pump, 1 slack adj, 2 cam gears and 1 crankshaft gear. This was correct instead of extra chain and adjuster they only needed to change the sprockets on the 2 cam shafts. Anyway the service manager returns and I told him all the parts are correct in the box and the service manager explains to me that the original price quote the gave me was correct at $1400.00 but when he ordered the upgrade it was a kit with a different part number and different price. The kit was a 1 Timing chain part number which included 2 sprockets, chain, adjuster and crank gear. This is why the receipt shows 1 chain. Bottom line I seen the original receipt which shows the total cost was $1957.00 for the complete job but they made a mistake and only made me pay what was quoted to me..

AND THIS WAS MY FINAL ANSWER :-)

Please note that if I had the $1610.00 that they wanted I would have paid it. But I had to borrow the $1400.00 and i had no extra money to pay the differance and Benny Boyd seen this and at the end honored the quoted price of $1400.00.. So I do think they were being honest about the price but they needed to have better communication when things like factory upgrades and pricing before quoting prices to customer.
    Tommie

Top Engine Timing Belt Experts View More

7. igozoomzoom 85