• avatar ecarnstuff 10/25/12 11:52 am PST

The previous user mentioned the following - <quota> A timing belt lasts 100K miles and costs about $300 to replace.</quota>

This may be true if you are a mechanic and are able to do yourself; however if you are a regular consumer such as myself then plan on a timing belt replacement to cost at least $600-$750. This cost may even go up with how everything else these days are going up.

Answers

Not really, but you can check this source for the cars that in the recent past had chains instead of belts http://www.gates.com/downloads/download
    _common.cfm?file=428-1466_web.pdf&f
    older=brochure
    . You should note that cars with timing chains can and do frequently have problems and, if so, are much more expensive to fix. In the old pushrod engine days, timing chains were short and very reliable. In today's DOHC engines, the chains are long and complex requiring tensioners that fail and plastic guides that break or fail. I recently had to change one of the timing chains on my BMW V8. The upper tensioner failed (no warning whatsoever!) and the chain stretched out over an inch damaging some of the guides. With the help of a friend I replaced the chain myself but the cost at a mechanic would have been well over $1,500. A timing belt lasts 100K miles and costs about $300 to replace. So, don't assume a timing chain is always the best way to go.

• ecarnstuff 10/25/12 11:52 am PST

Top Engine Timing Belt Experts View More

7. igozoomzoom 85