• avatar knowledgepower 03/19/11 5:47 pm PST

The disposition fee is what dealers charge to take a vehicle into their inventory and everyone charges it. I would personally look around for something different, Hyundai is getting better as far as reliability but they still have to earn that reputation. I would consider another Toyota lease or even Honda who has 0 down and 0 security lease if that is the way you want to go. Do qualify yourself and see if you need to lease. If you like being a new vehicle every 3 years then leasing may be for you. If you drive an average of 1,000 miles a month then leasing could be for you as well as a lower monthly payment vs. 60 month financing. Compare leasing vs. financing to see what works for you, not what a salesperson suggest because in most cases they're thinking commission not customer satisfaction. Do shop first and good luck.

Answers

• isellhondas 03/19/11 5:06 pm PST

Disposition fees are pretty common with leases and yes, sometimes if you re-lease they will waive that fee.

It's not "punishment". Just the way it is. If you are adverse to that, why not just take advantage of some of the low interest rates being offered right now by Honda and Toyota and get off the lease treadmill?

Generally the Korean makes aren't good lease cars compared to Honda and Toyota because of resale values at lease end.

• knowledgepower 03/19/11 5:47 pm PST

• hockey19 03/19/11 10:39 pm PST

i understand that it's normal to charge the disposition fee, but toyota didn't charge that and chevy and kia doesn't either to my knowledge hyundai is the only compnay that i would get a car from that does that. i guess if the disposition fee is to help them with all the maitnance of the car, then why don't they charge you that no matter what if you release with them or not. the same exact stuff has to be done to that particular car. and my bigger problem was that the dealer/salesperson didn't tell me that when i was just looking, it was when i came back with my husband to get a quote and i got a deal i couldn't refuse but now i dont know what to do. and i can't afford to buy, its not the luxury of a new car every three years its just that i can't afford a high monthly payment to own.

• isellhondas 03/20/11 4:27 pm PST

Disposition fees are charged to help defray some of the costs of getting rid of your car at lease end. Auction fees etc.

Korean cars aren't high demand used cars so I'm not surprised they charge that fee.

I suppose if it bothers you that much maybe you should just lease a car that doesn't charge a disposition fee.

• rondo333 03/27/14 11:18 am PST

Be very careful with the disposition fee because if you don't re-lease a Hyundai, and you don't take good care of this car They will get you for wear and tear plus disposition fee. If you have 2 thousand dollars worth of damage you will pay 2,400 dollars plus taxes!

• jerryo123 04/16/14 9:37 am PST

AUTO LEASE HIDDEN FEE.

Someone asked me the other day what I thought of leasing a car and told them how much I liked our Hyundai Sonata and how painless the lease process was. I took care of the car, turned it in under the 36000/3 year mile term. Hyundai came out and inspected the vehicle and gave it a clean bill of health. Turned it in at the dealer, shook hands and left. Pretty painless, huh?

UNTIL I GOT A $400 DISPOSITION FEE BILL IN THE MAIL.

This applies if you don't buy your leased vehicle. It was never mentioned or pointed out in the lease document at the lease signing, although the Hyundai Finance people were happy to point out that it is mentioned in the lease doc 3 times and I signed it.

READ DOCS THOROUGHLY BEFORE SIGNING.

Top Car Leasing Experts View More

7. madmanmoo 180