• avatar zaken1 05/31/10 12:51 am PST

This sounds like a problem with the clutch hydraulic system; either a leaking clutch master or slave cylinder; or that the system is either low on fluid, or needs to be properly bled. The first thing to do would be to check the fluid level in the clutch fluid reservior. If it is low; top it up with the proper fluid (usually DOT 4 brake fluid) and watch the fluid level for a while. If this doesn't fix the problem; or if the fluid level continues to drop, there probably is a leak in one of the clutch hydraulic cylinders. This problem may be covered under the original manufacturer's new car warranty (depending on whether that warranty is transferrable). So I would check with a Hyundai dealer before paying for any repairs.

Answers

• lmccullough 06/09/10 8:27 pm PST

I am having the same problem. I see that your staus is closed so I am assuming you had the issue fixed. Can you let me know what you did and what the problem was?

• deer5 07/26/10 2:24 pm PST

I also have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata 5 speed 4-cyl. with 12,000 miles that we have had many problems with the clutch pedal staying on the floor when i shift gears.The danger of the problem is when i come to red light or stop sign and press the clutch pedal the car wants to keep going ( the transmission stays engaged ). I am taking it to the service department friday but was told over the phone by service manager that they can not do anything if it does not do it at time when they check it out. I am glad to know i am not the only with this problem.

• cnyguy 07/30/10 9:13 pm PST

We are having the same problem, clutch goes to the floor and sticks briefly, then the pressure is back up and it works normally. It acts like it's out of fluid, but it is full and never leaks. There are several reports of this on other forums. My wife and I have driven standards since we started driving, neither of us has experienced anything like this. We'll let you know how the dealer/service responds when we take it in.

• jen2009 09/21/11 11:45 am PST

I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 5-speed. I have had this problem twice now and both times it was the same issue - the master cylinder was leaking fluid and/or had debris in the fluid. It is covered under warranty and they can either bleed the cylinder or replace it. I'm not sure why the service dept for one of the posters here said they could not identify the issue unless the problem occurred while it was there. I haven't been told that either time I've taken my car for service. I'm not sure if the warranty is transferrable so that would be a good question to ask.

Top Hyundai Sonata Experts View More