• avatar lindac46 10/18/10 6:40 am PST

This may be your problem. The plastic sleeve on the shift lever slides down and causes a sensor in the shift mechanism to sense that the car is not in park.Thus the ignition key is not released. Simply put the transmission in park, then slide the sleeve upward and the key should release.

I found this answer on another BB when my boyfriends 2005 focus did this to him. I texted him what I found and he tried it and got his key out.

Answers

• boomchek 06/24/08 6:52 pm PST

"When I turn the engine the kwy will not come out"

Please clarify: when the car is turned on there is a safety block that prevents you from taking the key out.

Do you mean to say that when you turn the car off, you can't remove the key?

Sometimes it could be something as simple as playing with the steering wheel left and right while at the same time trying to get the key out. Try and see if that works.

• lindac46 10/18/10 6:40 am PST

• pamc2 11/30/10 6:39 pm PST

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, lindac46. My daughter who's getting a divorce and has 2 children had this problem. I looked at your answer and when she pulled up on the sleeve the key came out. She did not have the money to go get this fixed. Your answer was a godsend. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

• emheather8 01/01/11 10:34 pm PST

Thank you everyone for your posts! My key has been stuck in my 2006 ford focus for 3 weeks! My boyfriend has tried everything and we were just about at the end of our rope when he came across these posts. Within 5 seconds of getting in my car and sliding up the sleeve on the shifter, the key came out! Yay!!! You all saved me a ton of money! Thank you!

• smontgomery2 02/21/11 2:11 pm PST

We have a 2005 Ford Focus and couldn't get the key out of the ignition. I read your post, went out to the car, pulled the shifter all the way down, sort of jiggled it, and then pushed it all the way back up to park. Key came out without a hitch! I just registered for an an account at Edmunds just so I could say THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

• dannykelley 07/21/12 12:05 am PST

My 05 FOCUS was having the problem we had to leave it in the car for hours i came home got online and found this forum went out and fixed it with in secs thank you so much ur awesome

• kawilli4 01/02/13 10:09 pm PST

I, too, was at my wits end trying to figure out why my key would not come out of the ignition. I read your posts, went back to my car, tried your suggestion of sliding the sleeve, and PRESTO!

Thank you for saving me time, money, and an unnecessary trip to the mechanic!!

Happy New Year!

• mrdcleveland 01/12/13 11:42 am PST

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just went to town, and when I got to the grocery store, I heard something not quite right when I shifted into park; then the key would not come out! I drove straight to the Ford dealer and, w/o even looking at it, the guys said, "Oh, that's the cylinder, it will have to be replaced." I asked could it be something with the shift, "Oh, no, it's the cylinder. Come back on Monday, we'll replace it." But, something did not seem right--as I said, it did not seem to go into park properly, although it LOOKED like it did. I came home, did about 2 minutes of searching, found this, and VOILA! My key is free! I'm going to go back to that Ford place and just let them know: Sometimes you need to just LOOK at it at least, before making a diagnosis! Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!

• debpierce 06/10/13 10:21 am PST

Oh My Gosh, I can not THANK YOU enough. Just got home from store, my key was stuck. I was mentally trying to juggle money to pay the mechanic to get the key out when I decided to look here first. Thank God I did, I went out, started the car, put in Neutral and sure enough the little plastic sleeve was pushed down. I pulled it up and the key came out just like magic!

May you all have a very blessed day! I sure feel like I am having one.
    Deb

Top Ford Focus Experts View More