• avatar zaken1 12/31/08 12:42 pm PST

The service department at a GM dealership should be able to help you out.

Answers

• tony78 12/31/08 2:48 pm PST

Here's the good news and the bad news.

The good news is that GM does have replacement lock cylinder (s) for your car.

Also if the original lock cylinder (s) are in good condition then they will be able to re-key them.

A re-key of a lock cylinder is where the locksmith disassembles the cylinder and replaces the locks,,pins .

The bad news is that all of the vehicles locks will need to be re-keyed or the lock cylinders will need to be replaced,,driver,,passenger,,ignition,,
    trunk.

Cylinder prices cost about $ 30 to $ 40 dollars each and about $ 20 dollars to re-key,,then add in the cost of disassembly and reassembly of the steering column,,doors,,and trunk.

One other thing,,if you do decide to junk the aurora,,could you send me an e-mail,,my wife probally won't like me to have another car but she would make an exception for an oldsmobile.

• ndeysayau95 12/31/08 4:35 pm PST

Well, I had the same misfortune with an 18 month old baby running around my keys were lost never to be found. You do not have to go thru the hassle of getting all cylinders replaced etc. as mentione in an earlier reply. You can go to GM or Cadillac (I went to Cad) with your Registration which should have your VIN# and Identification and they can make new keys for you. Door key is $68 and ignition key is $43 if I remember correctly.

• sschmid 01/02/09 9:49 pm PST

Thanks to those that suggested GM service. With the registration and my parents ID they were able to cut me a set of keys from the VIN for just under $50. Apparently ONLY GM can cut the ignition key bbout $35 per key (I am waiting for a restock of their blanks to get one more). I was able to get copies of door key made from the one they cut for $2. Now I just have to figure out how to get the airbag back in place and all is good.

Top Oldsmobile Aurora Experts View More