• avatar melissae 07/31/09 5:57 pm PST

Update! I just got off the phone with the CARS folks (for the 2nd time) and they said as long as you attach a marriage certificate to the title you're fine. She said all of the dealerships are just really nervous right now, but if they get a rejection certificate from the gov't, they'll just need to explain what happend and send in a copy of the marriage certficate. So, sounds like you may be ok!

Answers

• sylvia 07/30/09 10:34 am PST

I've had this issue with a dealer and DMV (not with CARS tho) and basically I made copies of the cerified marriage certificate and stapled it to everything. Do what the DMV has stated and have your wife sign both names.

I wouldn't sign a waiver. As a last resort I would call the CARS hotline (be ready to sit on hold).

• melissae 07/31/09 4:54 pm PST

Had the same issue. Traded my jeep (that has my maiden name on the title) in for a jetta. Four days later got a call from the dealership...bring the jetta back...gov't won't accept the title with a different name on it. Called the CARS people and was told the name has to be the same. Funny thing is, if you read some of the legal mumbo jumbo on the CARS website, it says it's ok if you've gotten a divorce or had a spouse die and your title is different. Guess they support divorce and death, but not marriage!

• lucasatakros 07/31/09 5:37 pm PST

We're crossing our fingers, we drove the new car home last night. The dealer had my wife sign the title in her maiden name and they have a certified marriage certificate showing the name change from probate court. If you read the rules it says the same "person". If we have problems we'll be burning the phone lines to our local congressmen. I doubt the intent of the law was to prevent married people from participating..... ...and this will make them all look really stupid. Maybe we'll get coverage with our local news channel troubleshooters too!

• melissae 07/31/09 5:57 pm PST

Top Car Buying Experts View More