• avatar karjunkie 03/29/09 12:48 pm PST

While I would normally lean in the direction of the Honda Civic as it has been a phenomenally reliable model, the condition you describe speaks of neglect. Assuming the Protege purrs like a kitten as well once you start and drive it, I would be inclined to go with the Protege.The Mazda Protege is a very reliable car according to Consumer Reports. Given the mileage on each car, it would make sense to me to have an independent mechanic check your final choice. The 100 bucks that may cost you will more than be repaid if you manage to avoid an unreliable car or one with big problems that are not obvious. Good luck on your choice!

Answers

I'd lean towards the Protege too, based on your initial findings, and based on my Mom's 90 Protege that she just sold a few months ago. It never let her down.

Check out the Used Car Buying Checklist, but definitely get it checked out by your mechanic as Karjunkie suggested.

Top Honda Civic Experts View More