• avatar zaken1 06/26/11 1:52 am PST

The air usually works out of the system during the first time the motor is driven after being filled. That is why it is very important to recheck the radiator level before the next time the car is driven. If you find the radiator level is low; it is likely that was the cause of the overheating. But it is also important to find out whether there is more loss of coolant after the time you check it. So I would keep checking the radiator level on a daily basis; until you either find that it has stopped droppping; or you take it to a shop and have it checked for leaking head gaskets.

Answers

1> If the temperature heats up beyond normal in the first few miles of driving; the head gasket(s) may be leaking. A radiator shop has the tester to check for a blown head gasket.

2> It also might be that you put pure antifreeze in the system; instead of mixing it with at least 30% distilled water. Pure antifreeze needs water mixed with it, in order to effectively transfer heat out of the engine.

3> If you didn't refill the cooling system at the RADIATOR FILLER NECK, or didn't recheck the coolant level in the radiator the day after working on it; there may have been air trapped in the system which worked itself out, and left the radiator very low on coolant. You can't trust the level in the overflow bottle, until you are certain that the radiator level has stopped dropping, and you fill the radiator to the very top.

4> The water pump may be defective; which would also have caused the heater to not work well.

5> The previous owner may have had cooling system problems; and may have put excessive amounts of sealer in the system; which could have clogged up the radiator and heater core.

6> The electric radiator fans may not be working; which is usually caused by a bad thermal fan switch. But sometimes the fan motor can be defective.

• cbrooks_1234 06/26/11 12:22 am PST

Mr Zaken thank you:):) I filled the radiator to the neck and before I drove it at first while sitting in idle the gauge was right in the middle. When I started to drive it after a few miles it started to overheat. How long would it take for the air to release itself if it has air in the system? How would I know if in fact it has air in it?:) I truly hope its not heads:( But I will get that tested. If i wake up tomorrow and take the cap off and it allows me to put more water in it and is that a good sign that there maybe was air in the system that is causing this problem?

Top Engine Overheating Experts View More