• avatar thecardoc3 11/13/11 12:53 pm PST

When it fails to open, I take it the door can be unlocked and open manually? This sounds like a simple failure of the door latch, or the power lock actuator. Some of these actually had a little rubber stoppers that wear and need to be replaced in order for the actuator to move the latch locking arm fully in both directions.

Answers

• thecardoc3 11/13/11 12:53 pm PST

• brendam3 11/13/11 3:08 pm PST

The door sticks even if the car is unlocked. I have to keep trying to open or open another door and open this door from inside the car.

• thecardoc3 11/13/11 4:40 pm PST

OK that helps, if the latch was still in the locked position, then the door would not open from the inside either.

That means close attention has to be paid to the linkage from the outside handle, to the latch assembly. Many cars are adjustable, does the outside handle feel like it's putting pressure against the latch spring? Or does it have a bit of free play?

I'd be taking the door panel off and watching this operate to solve the problem.

Top Ignition Keys Experts View More

7. alaskanj 50