• avatar Stever@Edmunds 06/27/12 5:33 pm PST

CR-Vs seem to have more AC issues than should be normal, so I'd get it right back in to the dealer. Get your complaint on record and ask for a copy of your receipt from your last visit if you don't have a copy. And you may want to open a case with Honda USA expressing your concern over the poorly working AC and the failure of your dealer to fix it permanently at the last service visit.

Complaining during the warranty period may help you get coverage if and when the compressor (or something else related to the AC) completely fails.

There's more in the Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems discussion on the Edmunds forums here.

This article may help you with a warranty claim if the dealer doesn't work with you in the future.

The Secret Warranty

Answers

The Secret Warranty

• jjbenedi 06/28/12 7:51 am PST

Could the dealer's explanation of slightly low freon cause the air to work intermittently? I want to be armed with this info when I go in. Thanks

Yes.

So where has the freon that you put in six months ago gone?

Low freon can cause premature compressor failure. Plus leaking that stuff, even if it's R-134a or R12, isn't good for the environment and the dealer is likely breaking some regulation somewhere by simply recharging the system without finding the leak.

• jjbenedi 06/28/12 10:41 pm PST

Ok just talked to the service manager. Now they say it is the clutch, coil, and relay...cost to repair a little over $600. We have a 100,000 mile extended warranty and thought it would cover it...but of course it only covers the compressor going out. He offered to call HOA to see if they would knock down the cost at all..what do you think our chances are. I have read on the CRC owners forum that this same thing is happening to lots of 2008 CRV's.

If your warranty is still in effect, I'd say your chances are pretty good. In fact, I'd be trying for some of my money back on the first "fix" that wasn't covered by the warranty.

The dealer certainly knows that this is a common problem with CR-Vs. Makes you wonder if they knew your warranty was running out and that they were hoping that your AC would last long enough to get you through the warranty period.

• jjbenedi 07/03/12 1:18 pm PST

Thanks for all of your help! Just got my CRV back with cold air coming out of the vents for the first time in a while...all at NO CHARGE! The dealer ended up taking care of it even though the compressor clutch and coil weren't covered under warranty. We've purchased 4 hondas from this dealership and this may convince us to purchase one more!

Cool. 8-)

Top Heating / Cooling Air Conditioner Experts View More