• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 05/21/10 10:59 am PST

Well okay, what she needs then is a car with a long door, high seating and lotsa legroom. Basically sounds like she needs to get in butt-first (if you will excuse the familiarity), then rotate herself into the car. So the seat can't be too low, and the A pillar cannot be so close as to interfere with her swinging her legs in.

So anyway, you can eliminate any car who's roofline is too low and where the driver's door is pretty stubby. Ironically, maybe a coupe would be better, as the front doors are often longer.

It's either that or some monstrosity SUV, seems to me. But there the seating might be too high for her.

This may be a task requiring trips from one showroom to another.

Answers

A crossover style vehicle might be her best bet. I would check out the new Honda Accord Crosstour or the Toyota Venza. These vehicles are slightly higher off the ground than a sedan and are fairly easy to enter. Both should be very reliable given the brand reputation.

Have you tried something like a Scion xD? Lots of older folks love 'em and they are big and square, so maybe?

Along with the xD is the xB, lots of room (I fit, I'm 6'5"). But only real way to tell is to go to some dealers and try them out.

• stevejones51 05/20/10 6:20 pm PST

This is Steve again. I'm overwhelmed by all the great responses so quick. One thing I don't think I made real clear is by bad knees I meant she can't hardly bend them and that is where a lot of her weight is so she almost has to leave her legs straight then try to pull them in. Thanks again, Steve

Steve, Maybe I'm tired at the end of a long workday, but I read your post several times and its not clear to me if this is for her to drive or for you to transport her as a passenger. If its for her to drive, would it be city driving or highway driving? Some of the new small cars have pretty good seating - but they are marginal on the fastest highways.

I think a more chairlike posture might be worth trying. Has she tried a VW New Beetle? Might be fun for her too.

• stevejones51 05/21/10 12:43 pm PST

Guess I didn't do a very good job of explaining what we needed, but Mr Shiftright hit it right on the head. Also, this is for her to drive. I was just out and pulled up beside a Honda Element then looked a pics online. What's everyone think of the Element? Thanks again for ALL the responses, Steve

My son bought a new Element 7 weeks ago. I think its a practical & versatile vehicle. He loves it. There is a lot of room behind the front seats if/when she needs to transport a wheelchair. I think she'd have to try it out. Her positioning will be unique to her physical requirements, so there's no way around some seat time, so to speak. The Element has much more usable room inside than the specs suggest. I think its time to visit some dealers. First, are you sure its safe for her to drive with her physical limitations?

• ahq 08/13/10 10:23 pm PST

I think that a Kia Rondo or Mazda 5 would be a good choice. New Rondos are increasingly hard to find, but there are plenty of used ones out there since they are often used as rental vehicles. The Rondo and Mazda 5 have a lower floor than most SUVs and also have taller roofs and larger door apertures. I think either of those two vehicles would work out well, so give them a try. If you are okay with getting a large sedan, check out a used 2008-2009 Ford Taurus or Mercury Sable. They are also relatively tall with high seating and large door openings, so they are very easy to get in/out of.