• avatar ziggyk 02/22/10 11:11 am PST

the obvious question would be what make and model/what year, because most systems are the basically the same however, the actuation varies from manufacturer, like solenoid actuation on a g.m.is electronically controlled,and is for the most part self contained on the front differential, the actuation on my passport is primarilly vacuuum actuated at the transmission with separate solenoids on the differential, so without the most basic info about the vehicle its kinda hard to help out if you can reply with this info i may be able to help out with some diagnostics, also bear in mind most 4wd systems if not used for long periods of time will not engage, or will have parts failures when attempting to engage them

Answers

• tony78 02/21/10 10:38 pm PST

Well,,you could go one of two ways,,,

a. you could service the 4wd system now befofore some thing goes wrong with it and leaves you stranded some place,,,

or,,,

b. you could let it go bust then you will have a new experience to share with family and friends.

• lakeluver 02/22/10 10:47 am PST

I knew all my fluids were OK so I suspected an electrical problem. Had to have the control on the dash replaced. Cost $112 including labor. I thought that was very reasonable.

• ziggyk 02/22/10 11:11 am PST

• lakeluver 02/28/10 9:00 am PST

It is a 2003 Z71. Replacing the control on the dash solved the problem.

Top Transmission AWD 4WD Experts View More