Answers

• kiawah 12/31/07 2:33 pm PST

You may want to increase the tire pressure a couple of pounds, which would also increase your mpg. Your gauge where you fill could be reading low, most are not that accurate. The door jamb will have the minimum tire pressure recommended, the tire sidewall will have the max.

• aznraptor 01/10/08 3:19 am PST

In addition to that, the colder the air, the lower the psi. The warning wasn't bogus, you are just near that lower limit. Also check the stickers on the door that tell you the suggested pressures. They should have a cold and a hot rating. If it's morning and you just started driving, go with the cold minimum.
    I would also much rather trust the in-wheel sensors rather than what the gas station's sensor says. Sometimes they get less accurate with age or friction and what not.

• actualsize 03/16/08 4:21 pm PST

The TMPS warning isn't supposed to come on until the tire is 25% below the recommended pressure imprinted on a new standardized yellow and white sticker found on the driver's side door jamb.

For example, If Honda recommends 35 psi (not sure) the lamp should come on at 26.25 psi. If it is 32, the warning will come on at 24 psi, etc.

Gas station guages get banged around and run-over a lot--just look at them! They can easily be off be 4 or 5 pounds. Buy a nice digital one and carry your own.

The law (FMVSS 138) requires the lamp for low tire pressure to be the cross-section of a tire with an exclamation point in it (looks like a horeshoe with an exclamation point.)

If the tire-shaped lamp is blinking, on the other hand, or if a lamp labelled "TPMS" comes on steady, this indicates a fault with the system requiring a dealer visit.

If none of these explain your problem and you think it is a false warning, go to the dealer while its under warranty.

• optima3 06/14/11 2:07 pm PST

My 2009 kia optima started doing that last month

• kooler 02/17/12 3:59 am PST

Yea, I always get false alarms with the TPMS. When I put my snow tires on and take them off in the winter, I get the problem pop-up again. Until I started putting on the Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires around November and taking them off around April, I nevr had the problem. But most of the electronic systems are so sensitive, if you have had no issue with you pressure changing or changing tires, you probably woun't get them anymore. You will most likely have to fil it up a little hire then what the PSI reading says because 99.9 of those yo can't trust even if it is one you have had in your own glovebox. I get away from it, by using the same PSI aparatus each time and putting in about 5 additional pounds then what the PSI aparatus says, and I bet it will be hapy and not go off. Once you are sure, if you are anal like me, you can try and quickly check the pressure and if it is close to the other tires, give or take 2lbs PSI, let it be. The problem starts when the PSI is too close to the low setting so you want to keep it above that and the best way to do that is to keep about 2-4 extra PSI in the one tire that is causing the troubles, if you know which tire that is and it sounds like yo do know.

• jcg20 05/12/13 8:53 pm PST

put nitrogen in your tires,put 4lbs. extra and check in the morning and adjust if you want,buy a gauge. my caddy sticker says 30 but I run at 37 constantly. works great.24mpg.

Top Honda Civic Experts View More