• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 10/31/10 12:20 am PST

There is a TSB on this problem, and you may need a workshop manual to solve it. There's really too much information for me to cram into this little box for you and my diagrams are much too large. This just isn't the right medium for complex instructons. I am sorry.

TSB 08-24-5
    12/08/08
    OVERHEATING - ALL HYBRID APPLICATIONS
    FORD:
    2005-2008 Escape Hybrid
    MERCURY:
    2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid
    This article supersedes TSB 08-15-1 to update the vehicle applications.
    ISSUE
    Some 2005-2008 Escape Hybrid and 2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a red triangle light and codes indicating a transaxle overtemp. This condition may result in reduced power as the system activates fail safe operation. Codes P1A0E, P1A0F, P0A3C, P0A3E, P0A7A, P0A7C and P1A0D may also be set.
    ACTION
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
    SERVICE PROCEDURE
    NOTE THIS MESSAGE IS NOT APPLICABLE TO LOSS OF ENGINE COOLANT OR BASE ENGINE OVERHEAT CONCERNS. FOLLOW NORMAL DIAGNOSIS IN CASES OF ENGINE OVERHEATING.
    1.After verifying the Motor Electronics Cooling System (MECS) is at the proper level and condition, raise the vehicle on a hoist and with the ignition key in the run position, use a stethoscope to verify operation of the MECS pump.
    2.If the pump is running, verify coolant flow into the MECS degas bottle. If there is no flow, verify hoses are not pinched or twisted and if no issues are found replace the pump with the listed kit part.
    3.If the pump runs and there is coolant flow into the degas bottle this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) may not apply so follow normal diagnosis and repair.
    4.If the pump is not running, tap the housing and listen for the pump to turn on.
    5.If the pump turns on after tapping, replace the pump with new service kit. The kit provides the necessary instructions and hardware.
    6.If the pump does not turn on after tapping verify power is available to the pump and connector C1466 at the MECS pump is fully seated.
    a.If the connection to the pump is good and system voltage is available to the pump, replace the pump with new service kit. The kit provides the necessary instructions and hardware.
    b.If power is not available to the pump, follow pin point test "A" in Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-02B.

Parts Block
    WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
    IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
    OPERATION       DESCRIPTION                     TIME

082405A         2005-2008 Escape Hybrid         1.3 Hrs.
                    and 2006-2008 Mariner
                    Hybrid: Replace The
                    MECS Pump, Includes
                    Time To Perform The
                    Diagnosis Included In This
                    Article (Do Not Use With
                    12650D, 8419A)

MT082405        Claim Additional Diagnosis 
                    Actual (Pinpoint Test A) Or Labor 
                    Time Performed As Actual Time

DEALER CODING
                                       CONDITION
    BASIC PART NO.                       CODE
    8C419                                 42

Answers

I show the pump at about $90 bucks with 1.5 hours labor, so this really isn't that big a job apparently. Maybe an independent shop could do it for less for you.

Removal and Installation

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
    2. Drain the cooling system.
    3. Remove the accessory drive belt.
    4. Remove the 3 bolts and the coolant pump pulley.

• To install, tighten to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft).

1. Remove the 3 bolts and the coolant pump.

• Remove and discard the O-ring seal.
      • To install, tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-inch).

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

• Lubricate the O-ring seal with clean engine coolant.

1. Fill and bleed the cooling system.

• iflow 10/30/10 12:31 pm PST

Thanks! I thought this electric unit was located in another area and not where the conventional water pump would be.

That's not the water pump. You also have a heater pump (to give you heat when the vehicle is not running) and also an electric motor cooling pump. These are not for engine cooling.

Are you getting a "red triangle" warning light?

• iflow 10/30/10 8:53 pm PST

Yes! I have been getting that red triangle for a while now and got scared after it kept cutting off on the 405 S in L.A. and almost getting wiped off the freeway. The dealer said it was the electric water pump that is overheating the HUTB? (don't know what that is) and to replace that and the A/C Blend Door Actuator (something separate I don't what it is either) it would cost me over $800. I did see a light flash for a second once only that said electric motor overheat or something like that but when I lifted the hood, everything looked normal. I read in this forum and the dealer also said that there is a replacement upgraded electric water pump that will be installed without admitting that the old one is faulty. I am very handy and do all the maintenance and besides this problem, the car works like a charm and I've driven it all across the country and up to Cananda with no problem and keep getting good mileage. I do appreciate your taking the time to respond and lend your expert opinion.

Note: Forgive me. I went back and read your response and you are exactly right by saying that there is a electric motor cooling pump and I suppose that is what the dealer meant but written on my diagnostic results page is electric water pump. Can you tell me where the electric motor pump is located on this vehicle and any advice you have for replacing it?

thanks

TSB 08-24-5
    12/08/08
    OVERHEATING - ALL HYBRID APPLICATIONS
    FORD:
    2005-2008 Escape Hybrid
    MERCURY:
    2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid
    ISSUE
    ACTION
    SERVICE PROCEDURE

Parts Block

and 2006-2008 Mariner
                    Hybrid: Replace The
                    MECS Pump, Includes
                    Time To Perform The
                    Diagnosis Included In This
                    Article (Do Not Use With
                    12650D, 8419A)

Actual (Pinpoint Test A) Or Labor 
                    Time Performed As Actual Time

DEALER CODING
                                       CONDITION

Top Ford Escape Hybrid Experts View More

3. aznraptor 45
7. bandit10 10