Answers

• colin_l 04/13/10 11:11 am PST

Two suggestions:

1. Exhaust components can get frozen in place because of the frequent heat & cool cycles. Often if you apply heat you can get things moving. You can use a propane torch to heat up the exhaust and o2 sensor, or you could work on it soon after driving and parking. I recommend the torch because the rest of the engine and exhaust sections will be cool and it will be much more user-friendly to work on. You can find a propane torch suitable for automotive repair use in any auto parts store or wal-mart.

2. Get bids from local exhaust shops. Call one chain for a benchmark and then call several independent shops. I would bet that the independents are cheaper and I would guarantee they have more skilled welders. (You don't need much skill for an oxygen sensor replacement, but if your car requires more exhaust work, you'll thank me later for suggesting that you avoid the dealerships and chain stores.)

• ruben07 04/13/10 11:51 am PST

Well al try looking it up in all data where i study at and see if theres another way you can take the o2 sensor off, all get back to you?

• 0patience 04/13/10 8:05 pm PST

I always worry when people say that someone told them that the O2 sensor needs to be replaced.
    If the O2 sensor is bad, there is often an underlying problem that has caused it to go bad.

What was the original complaint?
    Is there a fault code? If so, what is the number?

It's possible that things like an vacuum leak, exhaust leak, bad connector or other problem is giving the fault.

Use the Answer this Question button to reply.

• denfinger 04/14/10 8:57 am PST

The gas cap was bad on the car, and I had taken it in for them to replace since there was a service bulletin on it. They also informed me that there was several overheat codes, which I know for a fact is not possible since I am the original owner and the only driver of the vehicle.

Every major auto shop sells a special oxygen sensor socket that fits over the electrical pigtail and allows you to use a wratchet wrench. You can attach a 12 or 18 inch piece of pipe over the wrench handle to get more leverage. I would soak the O2 sensor with PB Blaster spray overnight once the exhaust manifold cools that will help loosen the sensor threads.

Top Chevrolet Aveo Experts View More

3. alaskanj 35
5. fatmando 35