Answers

How can you expect us to give you useful tips when you don't even tell us what kind of car you have? Tips that would work on one engine would be foolish to do on another. All cars are not the same; they have different parts on them, and they have different kinds of problems. The quality and usefulness of the tips we give you can only be as good as the quality, completeness, and accuracy of the information you give us.

From what you told us; I can say that you're doing the right thing by changing your spark plugs; because Sea Foam has repeatedly been found to wipe out spark plugs within a day or two after it is used. I can also say that oil under the coils and injectors does not come from those parts. But I can't say more about the source of the oil or the way to deal with it ithout knowing what kind of engine you have. I'll also add that if the check engine light is not on; it is probably a waste of money to change the coils. And if the check engine light has been on while the motor runs; you need to have the computer scanned for codes to find out what is going on; rather than blindly throwing parts at it because those parts turned out to fix somebody else's car, which had a different engine design and different causes for problems that sound like your car's. There are at least fifteen different things that can cause stalling and poor running. If I told you all those remedies; and you tried them all; you would go broke quicker than if you paid a knowledgable mechanic to fix your car.

Please let us to help you effectively by clicking the "answer this question" button and telling us as much as you can about the model year and brand of car you have; the engine and transmission type, how many miles are on it, what major repairs it has had, how much oil it consumes between changes; what kind and weight of oil you're using, and what brand and part number of spark plugs you intend to put in it. Then click the "submit answer" button. Thank you.

• bensgirl 02/28/12 11:13 am PST

Sorry about that. I thought i at least put in the make & model :/ I have a 2000 toyota celica gt. I know, that was my first mistake!! right now, im not sure of the engine type. The milage is around 160,000 but i had the engine replaced around 70,000 miles. Not sure about oil consumption but havent noticed over consumption. we use 5w30 non synthetic oil. We did replace the plugs & they are "Autolite xp3924".
    The engine light is on and has been for a while. It reads multiple cylindar misfire (i belive all 4 and have replaced at least 3 within the past couple years), and system too rich bank 1. I was also told the o2 sensor needed to be replaced, so i have that and waiting for it to be replaced.
    Thanks so much for your help!!

Thanks for the missing information. The 2000 Celica was sold in a GT model; which had a 1.8 liter 1ZZ-FE engine; and in a GTS model; which had a 1.8 liter 2ZZ-GE engine. These 2 engines used different spark plugs. The plugs you listed are intended for the GT with the 1ZZ-FE engine. There should be an emission label under the hood; which lists the engine model. There should also be a sticker on the valve cover with the engine model symbol on it.

If the exhaust system has been modified in any way; such as installing an aftermarket muffler, removing or bypassing the catalytic converter; or if there are holes in the pipes or the pipe has been shortened; the engine will run too rich or too lean. It will not be possible to make the engine run right until the exhaust system is complete and undamaged; with all original components.

The oil under the coils is coming from either a leaking valve cover gasket, or leaking spark plug tube seals. This should be attended to. Oil on the outside of the plugs will also cause misfiring.

I would recommend replacing the fuel filter, the PCV valve, and thoroughly cleaning the interior of the mass airflow sensor, the throttle body, and the idle air control valve. Replace the air filter element if it does not allow sunlight to pass easily through it. Make sure that all the vacuum hoses are conected properly, and they are not loose or damaged. Replace any damaged hoses. Make sure the intake manifold bolts are tight and none are missing.

Stalling can also be caused by a defective camshaft position sensor, or a defective crankshaft position sensor; as well as by bad oxygen sensors. The GT and GTS engines use different oxygen sensors and different cam and crank sensors. There are 2 oxygen sensors on the car; and I recommend replacing them both. Replace the cam and crank sensors if the stalling continues.

The catalytic converter can plug up with this many miles on the engine(s). A plugged converter will make the engine lose a huge amount of power. A good test of the converter; if it has not been removed and the exhaust system is intact, is to stand behind the end of the tailpipe while someone sits in the driver's seat with the parking brake on and the engine idling. Hold your hand behind the end of the pipe and see how far away from the pipe you can hold your hand and still feel the exhaust pulses. Then have the person in the car step hard on the accelerator. There should be a blast of sound and pressure from the pipe. You shpould be able to move your hand twice or three times as far from the end of the pipe, and still feel the exhaust pulses, when the accelerator is pressed hard. But if there is little noticeable change in the exhaust sound or pressure when the accelerator is pressed hard; the catalytic converter is probably plugged up.

www.rockauto.com or www.autopartswarehouse.com have the best selection and prices on catalytic converters.

I also want to add that if your temperature gauge does not warm up within the first 3 miles, or never goes up more than 1/4 of the way on the gauge; either the engine is running too cold, or the temperature sender is defective. Either one of those two issues will make the motor run too rich, load the plugs up with carbon, and cause mustiple misfiring. The usual cause of an engine runing too cold is a sticking thermostat in the cooling system. So I would have the thermostat replaced with either a Stant #48128 or a Gates #33983. Both of these are 180 degree thermostats in the exact original design. There are cheaper thermostats available; but I would not recommend them.

Top Engine Engine oil Experts View More