Answers

• bkennedy54 07/28/09 9:33 pm PST

I wish I had an answer. I have exactly the same problem. I replaced the outside air sensor and it made no difference (at least the part was under $10 and took 10 minutes to replace). It is just at the front under the plastic cover and just snaps into a bracket and the connector plugs in.

I am afraid that they will tell me it is a computer malfunction and will want hundreds to replace.

I had a similar problem with my Silverado and the dealer loaded new software on the computer and the issue went away. Only cost $160 (ha ha.).

BTW on my Impala, the tire sensors don't work any more and they quoted me about $200 to fix so I have ignored it. I am not overjoyed with the computerized aspects of this vehicle.

• lane23 06/10/11 9:25 pm PST

I have the exact same problem with my 2006 Chevy Impala, It's in the upper 90's and my outside temperature tells me it's - 40! It's fustrating. I think I'm going to see if I can find the ait senor replace it myself. I made an appt at the dealership I bought the Impala from they and want $45-$60 just to diagnosis the issue. I can only imagine what they'll charge for the part then the labor to replace it.
    Have you tried the suggestion of replacing the air senor that I saw following your post?

Thanks!

• bobalicious 11/03/11 9:45 pm PST

I have the same problem. Mine will show either -38 degrees or -44 degrees. I took it to the shop and they could not replicate the problem. I asked them to order me a senson an replace it. $75 later, I still have the same problem. I spoke to the service manager and he's trying to find the answer.

By the way, I have the same problem another poster mentioned about the tire pressure sensors, too. I've replaced three of them in the two years I've had this car.

• brianpti 05/22/13 8:22 pm PST

An instant OAT update must be performed by pressing the A/C and Recirc buttons at the same time after the system has been repaired to convert the A/C permission from out of range to normal.

The sensor is under the plastic shild above the grille.

Top Heating / Cooling Air Conditioner Experts View More