• avatar Stever@Edmunds 10/21/09 11:26 am PST

I thought this was a good answer to a similar question over in the CarSpace Forums this week:

"All belts deteriorate over time. Hot and cold weather take their toll. You don't say whether you live in a mild or harsh climate or if you garage the vehicle. Those conditions influence the rate of belt deterioration."

Your owner's manual should list the change interval by miles and time. For my Subaru, the time interval is ten years, so you may have a ways to go with your Hondas, if they are similar.

Answers

I don't think you have to change the belts on these cars earlier than the scheduled mileage unless 1) you didn't perform oil changes as frequently as required or 2) you drove all the miles in stop and go city traffic that puts extra wear and tear on the engine. When you do replace the belts it is a good idea to replace the water pump because as the dealer said it is already at hand and will save you future labor costs. $750 is about right for a dealer, but it will cost quite a bit less at an independent mechanic. I would go to Car Talk’s Mechanics Files site at

http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/fi
    nd.html

Enter your zip code and you will get a list of mechanics in your area that other consumers have used and highly recommend. Look for ones that specialize in the make of your car. Call 2-3 of them and ask for a ballpark figure on the repair. I have personally used this site with great success to find good honest mechanics and can highly recommend it. Good luck!

Top Engine Timing Belt Experts View More

7. igozoomzoom 85