Answers

• kiawah 02/06/08 9:40 pm PST

I think it becomes less of an issue, the longer you own the car. If I was looking at a car that was 2 years old, 1 year as a rental and 1 year by you....I wouldn't touch it at all, assuming you found a major problem with it and looking to dump it.

On the other hand, if it's 5 years old, 1 year as a rental and 4 happy years with you.....the rental year wouldn't concern me.

• madmanmoo 02/08/08 10:24 am PST

That is not something that needs to be disclosed to the consumer. I don't think you'll hear back from the attorney general.

Will it affect resale? Well, personally, I wouldn't purchase the vehicle if it came off a rental. I'm assuming the price you got was very aggressive though. It may be a trade-off for you. Higher miles, lower price. Were the miles high?

At any rate, it is what it is. Enjoy the new ride.

• sketch 02/09/08 12:49 pm PST

Thanks for the answers! The car has 25k on it so nothing too outrageous as far as miles considering it's around 2 years old. The reason I contacted the AG office and the law library is because I read the following online:

"Additionally, some states require that a dealership disclose certain facts about used cars, such as whether it was a rental, has been salvaged or used as a demonstrator even if the purchaser doesn't ask."

I am not sure if that applied in Texas or not so I thought I would at least look in to it so I know my options.

• bandit10 04/01/08 1:13 am PST

Car-Fax always shows vehicles that have been Rentals, Leased, Fleet, Taxi-Cab,Demos. The list go's on. The Dealer should have given you the courtesy of telling you. As far as re-sale I don't believe it will hurt if the car is well maintained and looks and runs good. Toyota Camry is a fine car and should give you many years of trouble free driving. Plus you have a nice warranty to boot. Just enjoy your car. Ben

Top Car Values Trade-In Values Experts View More

7. 04350 80