• avatar jlflemmons 01/17/11 11:59 pm PST

Sorry I was late to the game here. Rear axle seal leaks are fairly common on Chevy rear axles, some as early as 40K miles. The shoes will need to be replaced, and the drums thoroughly inspected and cleaned.

A quick test for this is to set the parking brake, put the car in drive and give a small bit of throttle. If the diff fluid has leaked into the drums, the parking brake will not hold, even with just a bit of throttle. This is an easy repair, and any competent shop should be able to handle it.

Answers

• mcgyver427 12/17/10 3:06 pm PST

odds are Its probably a bit brake fluid on the brake shoes. If the rear end was going most likely it would be making noise (a lot of noise)

• garethhoffmann 12/18/10 1:07 pm PST

Updated, I took the truck to sears where they concluded that nothing was wrong.
    The next day the same wheel locked up again.
    So I took it back again and when it got there some how it was still locked up. When they put it on the lift it was no longer locked up so they couldnt find any thing wrong.
    So I went back there and found a slight dribble coming from the rear end seals, maybe enough to make it smoke if the brakes got hot enough but this does not conclude why the rear brake was locking up...
    Sears left me again with a no go to why it was locking up... any answers or guesses???????
    My personal guess; I use the E brake alot when I park because its a manual. Im thinking the cables or mechanism is getting hung up.

• cjuddboyz 12/28/10 5:41 am PST

in less you ride your brake it is more then a leak, It is youre coulpier!?
    IT has locked up and needs repaired!!!.

• garethhoffmann 01/11/11 6:18 pm PST

It was niether but thanks for the suggestions, turns out somehow the rear-end seals popped. It was a mind scrambler because no noise was present and it had the characteristics of riding an e-brake but in reality it was the wheels slipping around the rear-end because of the overflow of grease. Very interesting.

• jlflemmons 01/17/11 11:59 pm PST

Top Brakes Experts View More