Answers

• wizard6 04/02/10 5:45 pm PST

Sounds like it has a blown head gasket. Or if you are lucky you simply have air in the system. Best thing to do if it is air is to fill up the reservoir and then start it , let it run until it gets to normal temp. Then shut it off and let it cool completely, Then repeat the process three times. This will insure you get all the air out. If it is a head gasket it can be checked very easy at most tune up type places with a carbon dioxide tested. takes just a few minutes and could cost as much as thirty dollars. It can tell you if you have exhaust in your cooling system.

• alaskanj 04/02/10 6:21 pm PST

If this problem didnt exsist prior to changing the thermostat, Id double check the thermostat and make sure it is installed properly before you do blow a head gasket if its not blown already...What mixture of coolant to water do you have in there? 1/2 water and 1/2 coolant is always a no fail mixture, Dont put just straight water or just straight coolant into the system that is an Emergency Only type of procedure....Even then it would have to be corrected right away and mixed properly. You can also check for coolant out the tail pipe by smelling the exhaust,it should have a sweet smell to it like maple bars..That will give an indication as to a bad head gasket too..

• wizard6 04/02/10 11:09 pm PST

I don't think I would advise anyone to smell the exhaust. That is dumb. condensation will build up in a exhaust system in a very short time. It is not unusual to have moisture or even water coming out of the exhaust. What ever you do, Don't try to Smell it???

• alaskanj 04/03/10 1:27 am PST

I didnt advise them to wrap their lips around the tailpipe and sniff, come on wizard man where is your common sense... Anyone with a good sense of Smell can tell the difference between a normal running engine and one that is burning coolant out the tail pipe. Why pay someone 30 bux, when you can find out for yourself just by walking past the tailpipe and smelling a bit.. It wouldnt be any different then being at a red light during rush hour with the windows down.... Its just common knowledge and now he knows just how simple it is to make an educated guess of whats really coming out the exhaust and saving 30 bux towards actual parts and repairs...

• khillman 04/03/10 7:48 am PST

Wow Thanks alot for the advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how else can u chk the head gaskets... and how do u go about changin it.. is there anything else that might be wrong? cause even when it doesnt run hot the water still boils hot in the tank>>>>

• alaskanj 04/03/10 1:15 pm PST

Could be a crack in one of the cylinder walls, as the piston goes up it compresses the air and gas followed by combustion and thats when the air get introduced into the cooling system and thus creating the bubbles in the cooling system... Another possible cause of air in the cooling system is the system is drawing in air. To find out this solution is to run the car without the waterpump running and can be kinda dangerous to test this idea. But if air is being drawn into the system it is through the pump and if you eliminate the pump and the bubbles stop then your drawing in air, possible through the lower radiator hose. Otherwise if the air is still present without the water pump running then it is a cracked cylinder or head gasket. To find those you usually pressure test the cooling system or might even be coolant in the engine oil..

• khillman 04/03/10 7:17 pm PST

thanks, i will have that chked out.. but do u think it will require getting a new engine at the cost it will change the head gaskets/ect .. whats the good miliege rate for a used engine.any suggustions....

• alaskanj 04/04/10 12:33 am PST

First of all it depends on what is wrong, if its a head gasket, thats fixable, might be expensive but fixable if thats all that has to be replaced. Usually when head gaskets go out they can warp the cylinder head too because of the high heat, because the coolant keeps going out the tailpipe, and if the head is warped then it gets more expensive. If its a crack in the cylinder wall it would probably be cheaper and more feasible to change out the engine in my opinion. Not sure how much 4 cylinder engines go for now a days, would just have to do some shopping around for a good price. Dont mention any of these possible repairs until you get the final verdict, dont need the shop tryin to charge you for a repair that is not necessary.. So hold back till you hear what it is, even then if you suspect or question anything, come back and we can verify anything the repair shop says as far as repairs go...

Good Luck

• khillman 04/04/10 8:44 am PST

HAPPY EASTER..... THANKS, SO DO MUCH. I'M TAKING IT TI CHRYLSER MONDAY AND I'M GOING TO LET THEM CHK IT OUT.. I HAVE A APPT AND UR RITE NOT TO TELL THEM TO MUCH BUT IT RUNNNING HOT AND WHAT BEENS GOING ON WITH THE CAR IT'S UP TO THEM TO FIGURE IT OUT:) BUT I WILL LET U KNOW WHAT THEY CAME UP WITH.. BUT TO BEW HONEST I THINK IT'S THE HEAD GASKET CAUSE I HAVE A PUDDLE OF OIL DRIPPING FROM UNDER MY CAR AND I DONT HASVE A OIL LEAK THANKS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! I WILL KEEP IT POSTED AS SOON AS I FIND OUT SOMETHING..:)

Top Engine Overheating Experts View More