Answers

• patrick88 07/04/08 10:27 pm PST

What vehicle is this? Some newer ones have been having this problem. If the cap is not on tightly and allowing vapors/air to be released the system notices this pressure change and trips the light. This is mainly emission related.
    When the tech reset the CEL did he/she pull any codes???
    I'd recheck the cap seal, ensure that it is servicable and on tightly. If bad, replace.
    If it is good and you are sure that it has a good seal, check the emission lines connections for leaks and holes. And the emission related components.

• 777xlx 07/04/08 11:32 pm PST

This is a 2001 Nissan Maxima that I have that has been seeing the Service Engine light go on particularly if the tank is filled up. Seems to come on after the vehicle has sat overnight for some strange reason. Tech has cleared the code at least three times and mentioned they seem to be emission related. I didn't jot that information down as it's more of just a nuissance now with no other operating problems associated with the vehicle's performance.
    I try to make it a point to turn the gas cape three times after filling up. Now I'm wondering if there's a life expectancy for the gas caps manufactured for these or other vehicles where air can seep in around the seal causing the light to go on ? Thanks again for your thoughts or solution.

Top Electrical Instrument Panel Experts View More