• avatar morin2 05/02/10 7:22 pm PST

No, do not agree to it. If they insist, ask for your deposit back and go to an honest dealer. I hope that you haven't signed anything agreeing to this worthless extra profit.

You should decline every worthless dealer add-on including but not limited to: alarms, remote starting systems, paint & fabric protection, extra warrantees, tire warranty, alloy wheel warranty, aftermarket NAV, pinstripes...The list of worthless dealer junk add-ons is endless - just say no to every one. Some of them may even invalidate the manufacturer's warranty.

Answers

Ask to see the owner's manual and see what it says about your paint. Some manufacturers just recommend washing occasionally and don't even recommend that you wax your car, much less put a worthless "protection" package on it.

Yours should say (on page 9-84) to wash it often and just occasionally wax or hand polish if it gets residue on the paint. There's a bunch of warnings about not using cleaning agents that may damage the paint - really, nothing beats water.

In fact, the person at the dealer who gets tasked with applying the package may slop it on with dirty rags, scratch the paint, and make the factory paint worse. If you want new Buick detailed, find a detail shop that does nothing else - their reputation depends on it. The dealer won't care.

Lexol makes a good leather treatment and I'm sure there are lots others. A bottle of that should cost less than $10 - my bottle has lasted me years now.

All that mop and glow stuff is just extra profit for the dealer.

• gob3of3 01/01/12 9:31 am PST

Check the manufacturers warranty book. Most manufacturers do not cover interior staining nor exterior paint. You are on your own. Also check with the EPA website, Effects of Acid Rain-Automotive Coatings. Make sure you get some form of a warranty for the protection package, this makes it different than buying a protection product at the local car parts store. Hope this helps.

Source: http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/effects/aut
    o...

• ellen122967 12/10/14 12:40 pm PST

I actually purchased this package back in 2010 for a Grand Caravan. I recently noticed paint damage due to love bugs (if you're in Florida you'll know what I'm talking about). I thought it would probably be a long shot but submitted a claim. It was approved and I had over $1500 of repair work done for $0 out of pocket. The claim rep was very helpful and had a great attitude throughout the entire process. I was happily surprised!

That's pretty good considering that the warranty says "Vehicle owner should maintain the vehicle by frequent vacuuming of interior carpet and upholstery, regular washing and waxing of the exterior of the vehicle and by removing any spills or items that could cause permanent damage."

Love bugs supposedly cause damage after they've been sitting on the clear coat for approximately 24 hours. If you wash them off right away the guts don't have time to change their pH and damage the paint. Not only that, but new paint is pretty resistent to them anyway, per Wikipedia.

So, according to the warranty at least, it was your fault for not removing "items that could cause permanent damage".

Top Paint Experts View More

7. lokki 55