• avatar karjunkie 07/24/09 4:22 pm PST

First get the price agreed to and locked in. Ask them to run a Carfax report and send it to you as a precondition. Then get the financing in order. If you get a financing plan apporved and the price locked in, then make the trip to RI. Obviously you'll want to drive the car and make sure it is exactly as represented, but if you already drove one that should be the least of your concerns. It is CPO so any dealer will honor the warranty if there is a problem. Good luck!

Answers

Buying al low mileage 1-2 year old model will be the best decision financially. You are saving the bulk of depreciation which is massive in the first 2 years. I would look for a certified pre owned 2 year old model with low miles and a clean Carfax report. If you go to www.nadaguides.com enter your zip code and click on "used cars" button, you can look up the value of any used car based on its condition, installed options and mileage. You can also look up used pricing here too at: http://www.edmunds.com/zipcode/used/ind
    ex.html

• theproman23 07/23/09 5:11 pm PST

I agree. I am in Zip Code 14221 which doesn't seem to have many used cars in the area. I've also looked in to used cars in the neighboring regions. Are the prices I quoted for the used ones resonable?

• colin_l 07/23/09 5:14 pm PST

The G37 is significantly improved over the G35, so I would say that if you are considering a G35, get one cheap. Don't buy an unsold new 2008 (if they exist), go for more like a 2007 and earlier. This will serve to insulate your cash against the significant depreciation that will occur as people want the G37 more and the G35 less.

Leasing is simple, to me. Never do it unless:
    - You can claim it as a business expense
    - You need/want/require a new car every 3 years and you drive 12,000 or fewer miles per year. In this case, leasing is actually cheaper than buying new cars and then selling or trading them in.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the X. If you can do without AWD, get the regular G37 which will save you money and reduce vehicle weight, making it accelerate, brake and corner better. If you must have AWD due to winter weather, then consider other AWD performance sedans as well. For example, they aren't nearly as 'sexy' but you might think about a Subaru Legacy GT. They make about the same horsepower as a G35.

If it where me, I would do a nationwide search for the best used 2 year old CPO model. Sure its a PITA to have to have it shipped or go pick it up, but if you can save thousands and get the exact car you want, why restrict yourself it your area? At most, you'll have to pay $4-500 bucks to ship it. Go to www.cars.com and do a wide search and see what turns up. I am sure you'll be surprised at how much money you can save! Good luck!

• theproman23 07/24/09 4:02 pm PST

Thank you for all the info. and the suggestions. It's much apprecaited.

Based on all this I found a few cars that seem to fall in to the criteria I am looking for 2007 G35 X with roughly 24 K on it.

I've put in a few calls to dealers roughly 250 to 300 miles from me and have received some reply.

Currently I am in the process of filling out a credit application with a dealership in Rhode Island (I live in Buffalo, NY).

What I am wondering is how this whole process works. The dealership told me that there's isn't too much room for movement since these cars are certified. Also, how should I handle the whole process. I am not sure how I feel about negoitating for a car I havn't had the chance to drive and also I don't want to have to go out there unless I know I am picking up a car. So what should be my next step (s). Any suggestions on the logical flow or time line for this type of a deal?

• colin_l 07/24/09 4:26 pm PST

Regarding price inflexibility on Certified Pre Owned,

Yes, that seems to be true for most/all brands. CPO is a set price from what I've seen. If it's only slightly higher than other examples you see, then fine. But if it doesn't seem like it's worth it-- don't buy CPO.

Top Infiniti G35 Experts View More

3. obyone 135
6. bandit10 45