• avatar Stever@Edmunds 07/09/13 11:12 pm PST

I don't think shocks and struts need to changed based on mileage, at least not anymore. I'm still on my original shocks and struts on my '97 and my '99 vehicles, although the '99 could use new ones at 186,000 miles.

The net links that recommend changing shocks and struts at 50k typically are from sellers of shocks and struts. :-) I've read that easy (ie, highway) driving is easier on the suspension that constant driving on rough roads or city streets with lots of potholes. 50k wouldn't be my rule of thumb but this car has almost twice that many miles.

So, I'd get a second opinion before doing anything about the shocks. If another shop says they are bad, then you need to redo the deal you have with the seller or get your money back. Besides the bounce test, a floaty ride, chopped tires, nose diving when braking or steering wheel vibration can indicate bad shocks.

And if the shocks are bad and you buy the Camry, I'd price OEM shocks from Toyota. They were designed for your specific vehicle. Most aftermarket shocks are a "one size fits all" solution and may not offer the best ride for your car.

Answers

Top Suspension Experts View More