Answers

If you haven't done this type of repair before, I'd like a mechanic do it because on the 2.2L engine there are a couple of way for a rookie to make a bad mistake. Also you might want to replace your water pump and tensioner. Fortunately, your engine is not an interference engine so you don't have to worry about damage when the belt broke.

• paisan 03/25/08 2:14 pm PST

I'm going to agree with shiftright. I own a shop that does lots of Subaru work and even we out-source these type of repairs due to the complexity and ease with which you can make a costly mistake.

-mike

• nano7 03/26/08 1:34 am PST

Thanks for the good advice.

Fernando

• solbloom 01/23/11 8:51 pm PST

This is untrue. My timing belt snapped, and when it did, the valve stem was hit and i had to replace the head or get a valve job done. replacing the head turned out to be cheaper. I would be curious to know what kinds of common probelms are had that a shop couldn't handle, because I am an ameuture and I replace the head and belt just fine, with a little bit of support from a friend.

Although for some reason it won't start at the moment. had a fault code of 12, starter switch.. then reset the ecu and no code, but still won't fire... everything seems to work I don't get it..

Top Maintenance & Repair Experts View More