Answers

Sugar shouldn't affect very much once it is drained out. Contrary to popular belief, sugar does not dissolve in gasoline, it just sits on the bottom of the tank, like sand or dirt. At worst it can clog up the fuel filter. The chances of it getting to an injector or spark plug are pretty remote. There is no scientific evidence to support such a claim. If you want to disable a car, pouring water in the gas tank is far more deadly than sugar.

• saralee1 05/28/09 2:04 pm PST

Sorry mr_shiftright, I've read from many places that there is no scientific basis for sugar causing all of the damage that my car has, and I have read from others how they've gone through a similar experience as me. I can tell you that whatever the scientific explanations are about sugar in a gas tank, my car will not run and it is because of the sugar that was put into my tank and somehow made it through the rest of my fuel system. I saw the sugar with my own eyes, and my car broke down before I brought it to the repair shop, so I know that the repairman isn't replacing things that aren't broken. And I certainly don't think my insurance company would be covering the cost of any of this if they didn't believe that the sugar had caused the issues.

What I really need to know is about my spark plugs. They were just fine (as fine as 100,000 mile spark plugs can be) before this incident, and now they are not. Is there a link between the sugar and my spark plugs? How can I prove that link to my insurance company?

I would really appreciate comment on my spark plugs. I cannot afford to pay for things that my insurance company should cover, if that is the case that they should. Thank you.

• lokki 05/28/09 2:51 pm PST

1. Your engine wasn't damaged by the sugar. Your fuel filters were clogged. ANY substance in your fuel tank that doesn't disolve is likely to block the fuel filters. Sugar isn't soluble in water. Period. Think about it.

2. What do you think that sugar would do, if it DID disolve in gasoline? Turn into syrup?. Well, If the sugar were soluble in gasoline, and you had 5 or 10 gallons of gas in the car, how much sugar would it take before you had any notable ratio of sugar to gasoline?
    Ever tried to make a sugar and water syrup? How much sugar do you think it would take to make 10 gallons of syrup. Answer -WAY more than a 5 pound bag of sugar. Did somebody put 20 pounds of sugar in your tank? I doubt it.

3. If you want to test the "sugar isn't soluble in water" theory, it's as easy as getting a mayonaise jar, a pint of gasoline, and some sugar. From Wikipedia, here's a scientific explanation of why sugar won't disolve in gasoline... it's not magic or folklore -it's chemistry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility

4. You didn't need your injectors replaced - or the rails- or the fuel pump. Your fuel filters (which are easily replaceable) are there to catch things that are insoluble -like sugar. They did their job and that's why they're clogged. Clogged filters means your car won't run since it can't get any gasoline to the pump or the injectors.

5. Why on earth wouldn't you change the spark plugs at 100, 000 miles anyhow? II understand that you are tight on money, but if you really replaced all the fuel injectors, you should have replaced the plugs at the same time. That could have been done with no additional labor and only the cost of the plugs would have been involved.

6. Having said that, the sugar will have had zero effect on the sparkplugs, and if you don't have the money, you can wait. You've waited 100,000 mile already. It won't run any worse than it would have before the incident.

Remember that the sugar couldn't get past the fuel filters to even get to the sparkplugs. Again. The reason that your car wouldn't run is that the fuel filters were clogged.

By the way, you need a new mechanic. A good mechanic would have done the cheapest things first (changing the filters) and then tested to see if the injectors need to be replaced. He should have also noticed that he wasn't getting any fuel to the injectors and replaced the filters before replacing the fuel pump. Either he doesn't know, or he's ripping you off. Either way, I'd say adios to him.

• maxfreek 05/28/09 6:44 pm PST

the sugar will damage ur engine ..well if u cook sugar in a pot u will see what is going to happen inside cylinders and to pistons...costly i would try to drain tank or better yet get a replacement...before its 2 late

• 0patience 05/29/09 12:32 am PST

The sugar has to get to the engine before it can do any damage. Most often, the sugar clogs the fuel filter first. If it does make it to the injectors, I have never seen it get past the injectors.

The ports in the injectors are too small to allow a sugar granual to get through, so it isn't likely it will get to the cylinder. On older carberated engines, it could get into the cylinders and cause some minimal damage to the cylinder walls.

While it is possible that the sugar granuals could make it to the injectors, it isn't likely.
    Unless the fuel filter bypassed for some reason, but today's fuel filters are designed to clog, not bypass. With exception of some in tank screen fuel filters.

Again. Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. It will remain in crystal form.
    I have yet to see sugar crystals make it as far as the injectors in post 1996 vehicles.

You guys can answer this question for yourselves. Take a small amount of gasoline in a jar, then add sugar and see what happens.

Answer? Nothing happens. It doesn't turn into goo, it doesn't boil, it doesn't dissolve. It just sits there like sand or grit or whatever.

Seeing is believing, so don't take our word for it. Then you don't need all sorts of opinions, you'd have proven it to yourself.

• maxfreek 05/29/09 12:42 pm PST

i think that there is little chance of it affecting the plugs ...but 100k id say go for it...im not sure on the price or brand ngk prob but you have some for about $1.60 to about $ 10 per plug

• 46hillbilly 06/03/11 2:24 am PST

I dang new blew my food all over my computer at the lokki answer about sugar Not disolbving in Water. I make syrup for my hummingbirds that way and 60 years of cooking says that answer is Dead
    wrong. Obviously Lokki has Never cooked.
    PS: Onion Flakes cannot be remioved from a gas tank short of a Long acid bath, the outer skin will adhere and Stay there. They a few bkeak off of what they stuck to about every tiome the tank is filled.

Source: Been there and Got it Done to me. And-- I rebuilt engines to over 1800 hp for my own use.

• 46hillbilly 06/03/11 2:25 am PST

I dang near blew my food all over my computer at the lokki answer about sugar Not disolbving in Water. I make syrup for my hummingbirds that way and 60 years of cooking says that answer is Dead

Top Electrical Wiring Experts View More