• avatar regal1117 12/11/08 8:23 pm PST

Does the 3rd brake light work? If that works and the other 2 dont then it is probably the turn signal switch. The left and right brake lights run through the turn signal switch so they can blink when you are turning. I had the same problem with my 1994 cutlass. I could get the brake lights to come on if I jiggled the turn switch lever around.

Answers

• jlflemmons 12/10/08 10:13 am PST

Down by the brake pedal is an electrical switch that turns on the brake lights when you press the pedal. Every time you touch the brakes, that switch gets activated. Think about how many times the brakes have been applied since 1994, and you gain a respect for that little bugger! Inexpensive (something like $9 at O'Reillys, (AC Delco D1566D) and not too hard to install.

• regal1117 12/11/08 8:23 pm PST

• ssteenhoven 11/03/09 11:00 am PST

I have a 95 olds cutlass supreme and found another blog on the same problem with the brake lights. The solution is that blinker switch inside the steering column is also tied in with the braking lights. We replaced the switch in the coumn and we now have lights. Hope this helps you.

Top Electrical Fuse Experts View More