• avatar zaken1 03/06/12 8:01 pm PST

Thank you for the reply and the vote of confidence. My experience has been that the problem you reported is caused by what I said it was; not from stains or goo on the shifter mechanism. Call a tow truck and have them jack up the front wheels on your car to release the pressure on your transmission. If the shift lever will not release when the front wheels are free to turn; then you can assume I am wrong and do whatever you want. But until you have proved me wrong; please do not set my advice aside and seek other people's opinions. There are as many different opinions about why cars do not work as there are grains of sand on the beach. To avoid spending your life in confusion and wandering from one opinion to another; stay with what makes sense to you; at least until it is proven false.

Answers

• xiaoye 03/09/12 9:16 pm PST

Dear zaken1, following your suggestion, I lifted the front wheels of my Ford Escort 2001, but that did not unlock the gear shifter. So, following a mechanic's suggestion, I had to use a screwdrive to manually unlock the shifter. Then I drove to a local Ford Dealership for repair. They replaced an electronic part called AA actuator ASY, which cost me 360 dollars. Now the gear shifter works fine and I can take my key out without a problem. That said, I want to thank you for answering my question and responding to my follow-up questions promptly. I will remember your advice that I shall always shift the gear to Park position before taking my foot off the break and turning off the engine. You are fantastic and helpfu.

Top Transmission Automatic Experts View More

4. fordfan_17 840