• avatar stephenf 04/10/09 6:26 am PST

I bought a manual and saw that there is a canister near the gas tank that has a pressure/vacuum valve, it was dirty and the valve was jammed. I filled the valve with wd40 a few times and reinstalled and the problem was fixed. I had to turn off the check engine light with my OBD 2 scanner.

Answers

The gas cap has a rubber gasket on the inside of the cap. Smear a dab of vaseline on the gasket and see if that cures it. If not, a new gas cap is pretty inexpensive and will probably cure the problem.

• ray80 03/19/09 12:12 pm PST

Also at least on some of these vehicles there is a system checkout that runs every time vehicle is started. It may have to run through this check several times before the light comes on amd also may have to run through the check several times after the problem is corrected to turn light out.

• stephenf 04/10/09 6:26 am PST

Thanks for the follow up. That is probably the purge valve. Glad you found a solution!

Top Fuel System Experts View More