• avatar morin2 12/28/09 6:01 pm PST

That's the right size tire for the wheel that comes on the Sport. Both the Sport and !Wagon come with 18 x 7" alloys while the base model came with steel 15 x 6 wheels and the + Wagon with 16 x 6.5 alloy wheels. IMO, the base model is more likely to have come equipped with useful tires for winter driving than the other models - which because they are on larger wheels, use lower profile tires. There is an inverse relationship between the 18" wheel+tire combination that looks cool and function. Nexen makes several models - do yours say "all-season"?

To drive this in the snow, you'd be better off with a package of steel wheels and snow tires. Check tirerack.com for mounted snows that you can keep just for winter use, or you could probably find some new car take-offs with the base steel wheels.

The reason why you have not had this problem before is that this large wheel with low-profile tire fad on small cars is a recent phenomenon. Ten years ago, cars this size would have had 14" tires; 20 years ago, they would have had 13" tires. Both would have been more functional. Kia is not alone in satisfying this fad. Scions also have ridiculously large wheels with low-profile tires.

Answers

• vbayless 01/10/10 5:58 pm PST

I also have a 2010 Alien Kia Soul Exclaim with the 18in. tires. My first outing in the snow was a catastrophe, became stuck twice in little to no snow. I couldn't believe it, I figured with all the ground clearance the 18in. tires gave me going through the snow would be a breeze and one I was looking forward to. Here is what I have tried to help so that I don't become stranded in zero snow again.............turn off the ESC (electronic stability control) switch. From what I understand it basically applies brakes to the opposing tires that it feels is needed to maintain control of the vehicle, so if one of your tires start to slip or spin braking will be applied to the opposite to aid in preventing loss of control, which in turns is like trying to back up with the brakes applied......... Now, I am no expert and not even sure if I'm right, but so far it has worked wonderfully for me. I now keep the ESC off when driving slowly, such as backing out of a drive with accumulative snow, or parking lot etc. I turn the ESC back on once I get to the point of road driving. I hope this information helps you out, as it has me. The thought of buying new tires when you just spent 20,000.00 makes me sick at the thought.

• sirknight61 10/25/11 5:03 pm PST

I have as well two 2010 SOUL (Prodate 9/2009 and 4/2010) none were made with a VIN# as a 2009. And I have as well the NEXEN CP662 CLASSE PREMIER on both. And here is the surprice you found the hard way in MO sadley.

My 2010 SOUL + (4/10) has 205/55-R16 89H on it and THEY are All Season tires and are marked as such. They handle well in most situations. And on really cold (32-50) days here in SC. I would imagine would be ok in light 2inch snow too.

My 2010 SOUL SPORT LIMITED EDITION (9/09) has 225/45-R18 91V on it. And THEY are NOT All Season tires by any stretch of the imagination. But are sadly SUMMER High Performance TIRES. And here in SC on really cold days (below 50) they stink! And I am totally sure would be useless like you found in 2 inch snow.
    But in warm above 65-115 weather they are like I have AWD. Stick like GLUE! Due to the even more enhanced LOTUS Suspension in the SPORT model. Which is no longer made.

NEXEN also makes CP662 in a 225/45-R18 93V rateing. And that since they are SUMMER Ultra High Performance TIRES would be really sticky in warm weather and even worse (dangerous) in cold too then what I got the 91V.
    Bet if you look too the SOUL ! gets the CP662 225/45-R18 89H All Season version tires too.

You need to get winter tires or TRUE ALL SEASONS or live with 2 inchs of snow and insane driving on these NEXEN Sumemr tIRES FROM FACTORY.

• nscr99 10/14/12 11:56 am PST

It's all in knowing what the car/tire (and yourself as a driver) are capable of. I have a 2010 Sport with the 18" tires and have drove thru 8 inches of the white stuff without a problem.

Top Kia Soul Experts View More