• avatar karjunkie 06/16/10 10:46 am PST

What kind of towing are we talking about? Generally speaking you should do what the owner's manual says. However, if we are talking about towing a jet ski, small power boat or small sailboat under lets say 1,500 lbs. then you can probably tow it for short distances without straining the engine/transmission. Just remember that the warranty is invalidated by doing this and that at a minimum you need to install a transmission cooler. My suggestion would be to buy an old pick up truck and use that for hauling and save the wear and tear on the Solara.

Answers

• isellhondas 06/16/10 10:39 am PST

If the owner's manual says not to tow than you shouldn't!

This is a Solara and not a F-250 pickup.

It's called using the right tool for the job. Towing is hard on ANY car!

I've spent a lot of time in & out of boat ramps and I have never seem a Solara or Camry with a trailer attached. While it may be physically possible to attach a hitch, that doesn't mean its a good idea. I would strongly advise against this idea - unless the boat is a canoe or 12' or under lightweight aluminum skiff or jon boat. For anything more, get a cheap old pickup for towing. I got a 2000 Ford F150 for $1000 last year just for local towing.

• gordy10 06/17/10 9:11 pm PST

I really appreciate everyone sharing their opinion, but what I am really looking for is someone with some experience in towing a boat with one of these cars. I realize that I may be pushing the envelope and maybe no-one has done this. I can wait and see if anyone has facts rather than opinions.

Thanks

If thats the case, try one of the forums for Toyota Solara or Camry.

Top Toyota Camry Solara Experts View More

5. mz6greyghost 20
6. bowen3 10