• avatar zaken1 08/04/11 8:43 pm PST

The only parts you need to replace shocks and struts are new shocks and struts. If the leaks are only in the front; then you do not need to replace the rear ones. But the handling will be improved if you replace them all. I would recommend KYB # 344410 shocks on the rear, and KYB # 341340 struts on the front. These are Japanese made parts; which are at least equal, and often are better than the original equipment. But if your truck has self leveling air suspension; the shocks and struts can only be purchased from a dealer. www.rockauto.com sells these parts for $44.79 each for the rear (2 are required) and $70.79 each for the front (2 are required). www.summitracing.com also sells these parts, and may have better prices.

Replacing front struts is a tricky job; which requires a special tool to compress the coil springs. I would not recommend doing this yourself. I have gotten quotes of around $300 for just the labor of replacing all 4 shocks and struts (in the San Francisco Bay Area's pricey economy).

If the brake pads have been saturated with fluid; it may then be necessary to change them in order to stop the squealing. However, I know some mechanics who have had success at stopping squealing brakes by scribbling on the rotor with an ordinary crayon.

Answers

that is a highly implausible diagnosis of your problem. The struts can't possibly leak on the brake rotors---they aren't close enough, and if they were leaking that much to splash fluid that distance, your truck would be bouncing down the road like a baby buggy by this time.

You probably need new pads and possibly rotors or a rotor re-surface, and you need to check for brake fluid leaks at the brake caliper or grease seal leaks at the hub (from the wheel bearing).

Aside from the squealing, does the truck handle badly? Does it bounce uncontrolled after you go over a bump? I agree with Shifty, this would be the first time I've ever heard of strut/shock leakage affecting brakes. Plenty of reasons for them to squeal, none of which include leaking struts.

By the way, I just found out that the shocks and struts on 4Runners which came equipped with the "X-reas" self leveling system can be directly replaced with standard shocks and struts; with no extra work needed except disconnecting the X-reas lines (at the check valves; not at the fittings on the shocks).

Top Suspension Experts View More