• avatar WyoTex 02/13/09 5:54 pm PST

1. Lower the window
    2. Remove long thin pillar covers on left and right side of window frame by pulling gently yet firmly until snaps release.
    3. Plastic panel covering inside of hatch will now pop off. Remember to remove strap screwed into the left side of the door's interior.
    4. Remove the large metal panel held by hex headed (10mm) sheet metal screws.
    5. Raise the window so you have access to the innards of the door.
    6. From inside the car, find the cable that runs from the latch at the bottom center of the door up to the lever that pulls the cable when you pull the handle from outside the car.

Here's where you find out what the problem is. The cable may have come out of place at either end, the cable may have frozen by rust or dust, if the cable works perhaps something is wrong with the mechanism that goes form handle to lever or maybe the latch itself has quit working.

Once you've diagnosed where the problem lies and have fixed it, just reverse the order from 4 back to 2.

Good luck.

Source: Source: Son and I in the driveway

Answers

Oh you mean the hatch door.

Okay we need more info. Year of truck please.

• balwinderd 09/18/08 12:16 pm PST

I have same problem. My latch to open the hatch door does not work. I found directions on the internet to open the inside panels to access the inside to the hatch door. The problem is, my hatch door is stuck, I cannot open it, even from inside of the hatch door. From the inside of the hatch door, I can move the latch but still does not open.

I think my problem is the door does not UNLOCK. I see the cable moving when I press the hatch door. I think the Electronic Unlocking device does not work.

You may have similar problem or cable might be broken.

I cannot figure out how to open the hatch door manually, is there something I can pull to open it?

• welderguy 10/01/08 12:29 pm PST

I am having the same problem with my '02 Sequoia. The latch broke and I can't open the back hatch at all. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    John

• rhuber 10/08/08 11:07 am PST

I had the exact same problem with my 04 Sequoia. Took it to the dealer - they charged me $100 to review the problem because they had to take the door/lock off....a new lock is needed which includes the handle etc.... cost $492 for it all (includes all parts & labor). That was in June of this year. Needless to say, we have not had it fixed. This car is a joke! We have been through 3 sets of tires, and only have 95,000 miles on it. Can't wait to sell it.....

• WyoTex 02/13/09 5:54 pm PST

1. Lower the window

Good luck.

• tara_b 09/29/09 4:01 pm PST

I just had the same problem. We ended up having to replace the power lock actuator. it is the very bottom piece in the back door. you have to get inside the vehicle and take off the panel. unplug the cords so you can move the panel out of your way. i hade to break the plastic cover to get it off. the piece you are looking for is in the bottom center it is the piece you see when the door is open that has the latch on it. what happened to ours is it stopped working and was stuck in the lock postition so if whenever you reach this piece you have to move the switch to the unlock position. this will let you open the door from the outside again. I ordered a new piece from the toyota dealer and it costs 116 dollars. =/ but once i got the door to lock and unlock again and work properly it only lasted for about 10 min so i think that there is a short causing these to stop working. . . so i figured it out that far if anyone else gets farther i can use the help

Source: personal experience

• harbo 08/15/10 8:13 pm PST

If it is a broken rear latch handle you will need to open the read hatch from the outside. I like using a screwdriver or small square ended punch to push or pry or move the cable to release the latch. Takes a bit of fiddling. Be certain to cover the "U" shaped hook (above the bumper) with a towel or thick shop rag so the rear hatch door does not close and lock again. Takes patient.

• pauldb1 06/04/12 3:18 pm PST

Just completed this task on 2001 Sequioa Limited.

If the lock atuator is broken in the locked position and the door is closed, the job becomes more complicated because whether or not the cable is in place or the latch handle is broken you will not be able to open the door by simply removing the cover and tripping the cable.

I saw something else about removing the spare and cutting the striker off from the bottom...the follwing procedure has got to be easier than that.

Here's what you have to do:

1) Follow the removal steps from inside the vehicle to access the inner workings described previously in this thread. The actuator is located underneath the protector at the bottom of the door. Removing the rear seats adds to the comfort factor.

2) Getting the plastic protector off and out of the way was the crux of this job for me. The wiring junctions were hard to get apart and the cover was very well adhered to the bottom surface. I removed the window actuator assembly bolts so that I could move that assembly around for better access, but I am not sure that it was necessary. I pryed with screwdrivers and pulled (with all my strength) the plastic protector off and destroyed it in the process ($34 for another). I left the wires connected and cut the protector around the wires with tin snips.

3) The easiest place to move the actuator mechanism is on the side nearest to you. Feel around on the plastic surface with your finger and you will feel a lever. Move it, then try to actuate the lock lever either, by the handle outside or where the cable connects at the top or bottom mechanisms.

4) With the gate open, you can access the three screws at the bottom of the gate and remove the lock-actuator assembly (have to pull it out from inside the vehicle and remove the cable (easy).

5) Remove the screws and replace the actuator. I re-installed my lock mechanism unlocked without the actuator while I waited for the new actuator ($79) to come in.

Hope this helps,

Probably worth the $400 to put somebody else through this misery.

Top Toyota Sequoia Experts View More

3. WyoTex 40
4. boomchek 35