• avatar sandman235 04/01/08 8:55 am PST

when you say a jerking motion do you mean as it shifts from 1st to second it shifts harsh, or do you mean there is a steady constant jerking motion as you drive, or does it feel like engine braking in a manual trans? The lockup clutch in the converter should release at decelleration, it it doesn't, there is a problem, could it be you are not describing the problem to the service writer so they can understand? Best to take the writer or better yet the mechanic on a ride with you to show them what it is doing. Hope this helps

Answers

• sandman235 04/01/08 8:55 am PST

• steveinmpls 01/10/09 10:18 pm PST

I have what appears to be almost the exact same transmission problem with an 06 Mercedes E350. My car jerks around that speed usually when slowing down. It feels like the transmission disengages momentarily and then reingages -- sort of what you described as like someone who lets the clutch out abruptly. So, the car will suddenly decellerate with a small jerk. In several other instances it has jerked the car forward unexpectedly like someone let the clutch out abruptly to cause a surge forward.. So far the surge forward is not enough yet to cause an accident but enough to startle me as the car starts accelerating forward when not expected.

I too have been told on three occassions that the service technicians can't replicate the problem. The last time was just today after they drove it for 100 miles and still were not able to feel the jerk. Rather than argue the point I decided it was better to take a scientific approach to solving this issue. So, upon leaving the dealer today at about 2PM I started a log to record when the jerking occurs and under what conditions. Not surprisingly the car did the jerking thing again less than 10 minutes after leaving the dealership. It is incredibly exasperating.

I have also had the transfer casing replaced in response to a recall, and also a software patch was applied to the transmission a few months ago. For the record I also noticed it make a very strange noise a month or so ago.

I am writing this post mainly with the hope that other people with a similar problem will get some help. I believe the Mercedes dealer is making their best effort to "replicate" my issue, but it is really frustrating that I can drive the car 10 minutes and feel the jerk and they seem unable to do so after driving it around for three hours around time.

Maybe someone who is familiar with this problem can comment.

Thx

• eminhizer 03/10/09 11:28 pm PST

I had the same problem with my 2006 E350 - the dealer replaced the transmission valve body. Their diagnostic said the transmission valve body was bad code 2767, 2768, internal speed senson was defective. They replaced th valve body assembly

Top Mercedes-Benz M-Class Experts View More

3. alcarnut 35
5. sandman235 35
7. boomchek 25