• avatar actualsize 10/08/08 12:00 pm PST

You can't always simply clear codes and be on your way. The reason the codes came on must be repaired or the light will come back on again. I wouldn't take a car to a mechanic to have codes cleared unless you felt that mechanic could also repair the car. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for two visits and two repair bills.

P0442 is common to all manufacturers, and this one is "Evaporative Emission System leak detected (small leak)" In other words, the gas cap is either loose or it has a dirty or damaged seal. This code will set the "Check Engine" light and can be cleared easily--as long as the gas cap situation is dealt with.

Some codes mean different things on different brands of cars. For Toyota, C1336 means "zero point calibration of yaw rate sensor undone." The yaw rate sensor feeds into the VSC, so if it isn't working, the VSC won't work and you'll get the "VSC / TRC" light. I think you need to have a Toyota dealer or specialist Toyota mechanic look at this one. It would seem that the yaw sensor or the wiring leading to it isn't working properly. Don't mess around with this. Your stability control and traction control aren't working right now.

Answers

• actualsize 10/08/08 12:00 pm PST

• nreghu 10/08/08 12:31 pm PST

Thanks for your response.

I got the VSC and TRAC OFF lights after the scan by the Autozone guy.

I had read somewhere that sometimes when an incompatible scanner is
    used to scan the codes, that will lead to getting the VSC and TRAC OFF lights on.

Would that be right ?

• actualsize 10/08/08 1:46 pm PST

Sounds right. VSC and TRC systems (ESC or electronic stability control, to use the generic term) are not part of the federal OBD (on-board diagnostics) standards that apply to engines and emissions, so they signals that come out of the diagnostics port that pertain to such systems will only confirm to a particular automaker's internal standards and might not be readable (and resettable) by third-party code readers--like the one at AutoZone or some independent mechanics. The error code does refer to "calibration", so if you go to a Toyota dealer, where their code readers are designed to read such Toyota-specific VSC codes, they might simply be able to reset the zero-point of the yaw sensor and send you on your way.

• burchie 06/14/10 6:29 pm PST

I had exactly the same problem with my 2002 Toyota Camry V6. Back during a 2010 snowstorm, just the Check Engine lamp came on. When I took it to Autozone, they 'pulled' the diagnostic code for me - it was the Bank 1 Sensor 1 Air / Fuel ratio sensor. However, when I left their parking lot, both the VSC and TRAC OFF lamps were lit.

Some of the other posters felt that the lights would go out, either on their own or when the sensor was replaced. I replaced the sensor and the VSC and TRAC OFF lamps were still lit. Bummer!

I saw somewhere on the web that the older Autozone tester can erase the zero point calibration data in the VSC computer. After a bit of research, I found a Toyota written procedure to recalibrate the VSC. Here's a link to it: http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/pu
    b/pdf/TechCenterLibrary/ToyotaStarServi
    ceNews/2007/2007_TSSN_Spring.pdf

When I first tried the procedure, it didn't work at all, and I tried it several times. I was not able to zero out the old calibration data. Then, after some additional research, I discovered that the TS lead on the DLC-3 connector was located on pin 14, not on pin 12 as this document erroneously states (at least for my 2002 Camry).

When I followed the procedure using pin 14, it worked perfectly the very first time.

I sincerely hope that this information is helpful to others.

God Bless!

Source: http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/pu
    b...

• richardf61 05/18/11 9:20 am PST

I cleared it on my 2002 camry using the procedure the others used - noting that pin 14, not pin 12 of http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/pu
    b...
    . All I needed was a bent paper clip for each pin and two alligator clips and some patience. No need for the special lead mentioned in the procedure.

• languna 12/09/12 11:37 am PST

Hey guys, thanks for putting this online. I have a 2003 Highlander that had a o2 sensor go bad p1135, The checkengine light cleared but everytime i put it in drive the vsc and trec light would come on. The zero point worked except it should be pin 4 to 14 instead of 12. finally got a clear dash thanks again

Top Toyota Camry Experts View More