Answers

The Routan is basically a gussied-up Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/routa
    n...

• rutan 09/18/09 2:19 pm PST

thank you Steve, but do you have any specific info ? I want to know if they are literally the same suv like the gmc yukon is 90 % same parts as chevy tahoe . or did vw just base the routan of it but built it themselvs?

• rutan 09/18/09 2:29 pm PST

Sorry Steve , I read further and got the answers in the summery you provided, thank you very much !

I didn't think that VW had made much, if any, improvements to the Caravan twin (and they lost the Stow-n-Go), but the model review I linked indicates that VW did tweak quite a few things.

The nattering nabobs will tell you that with the Routan, you get the "famous" Chrysler reliability coupled with the equally famous VW dealership "experience".

I'm a minivan fan (Quest now, Voyager before that) and I'm still disappointed that VW didn't go forward with the Microbus concept a few years back. I like Caravans ok, but they kept growing and a just a bit too big for me these days.

• willida 09/18/09 5:24 pm PST

Beyond the external cosmetic changes, VW changed the seats and interior materials. They also adjusted the suspension. I bought a Routan SEL after owning two Chrysler mini-vans (Plymouth Voyager and Dodge Grand Caravan). The Chrysler vans gave me no trouble. The Routan handles better than the new Chrysler T&C, and I was able to get more value for the money with VW. There is enough VW-ishness in it to make it a different vehicle in US drivers eyes.

FYI, they didn't introduce a Eurovan because they were catering to the US non-VW owning mini-van market. I grew up with a 1962 Karmann Ghia, but all my adult life I haven't given VW a second thought. From this experience with a "Volksler" or a "Chryswagen" I would consider buying VWs in the future. This is what VW wants as they reach for a larger portion of the US market (currently about 1.5% I think).

Top Volkswagen Routan Experts View More

2. ronaldah 25