• avatar zaken1 10/22/08 11:31 pm PST

Your Pilot does have a timing belt. The recommended replacement interval should be listed in the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. It is usually either 60,000 or 100,000 miles.

There has been a recall on 2003 pilots, due to a misaligned timing belt tensioner. This factory defect can cause the timing belt to break prematurely. Check the website address referenced below for details.

I hope this helps!!!
    Joel

Source: http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/hon
    d...

Answers

I hope this helps!!!
    Joel

d...

• lextess 11/13/08 3:05 pm PST

I also have a 2003 Honda Pilot that I bought used 2 years ago. It now has a little over 105K miles on it, and the timing belt has never been changed. Would that recall still be in effect for this vehicle (what's the likelihood my vehicle actually has that defect after 105K on it)?

• bielagus 11/26/08 9:43 am PST

It does have a timing belt. Regarding replacement, it depends.
    - Honda had a recall on a large number of Pilots to replace the belt. If the belt (and water pump) were replaced by Honda the service techs would have marked your engine compartment VIN label. Also, you could sign into the Honda Owners web site, put in your VIN, and they will advise which recalls affect your specific vehicle and whether the recall has been addressed on your specific vehicle.
    - My local dealer has recommended replacing the belt after six years or 105,000 miles, claiming the belt gets dry rot - the price for this, as well as replacing the water pump and one other belt, is $950 (plus tax). I have 74,000 miles on the car, they have not examined the belt to see if it needs to be replaced, but they are strongly urging me to fix it now. I'm taking it to another dealer to have them take the cover off and advise if the work needs to be done now.
    - I called two other local dealers to get quotes on the same work: the quotes were $1250 and $750.

Top Scheduled Maintenance Experts View More