• avatar snowball2 11/14/09 4:09 pm PST

it sounds like you have a caliper that is sticking at times,also these trucks are known for front control arm bushing failure,does it sound like you are going over railroad tracks when going over bumps,the oil you see could be from your strut leaking

Answers

If the rear brake pads are sticking you could get a burning smell. Take a look at the front and rear area next time you smell the burning odor and see if the smell is strong up front or back around the rear wheels. Also check the front rotors for signs of overheating as they will be exhibiting blue or yellow discoloration. Does the front vibrate only with the brakes applied or when the brakes are off?

• cg25 11/10/09 1:09 pm PST

The vibration starts when the brakes are off. It is most noticable when I am driving on the interstate. I have tried to trace the smell and I have noticed it on both the front a rear drivers side. The last time it happened it looked like there was oil or something on the front rim and rotor. This was the first time I noticed that so it could have been from the road and just a coincidence or it could be another symptom. I looked underneath and didnt see anything dripping. I also checked the brake fluid resivior and it is still full.

I'd suspect warped fron brake rotors. Did they replace the front rotors when the changed the pads?

• cg25 11/10/09 1:25 pm PST

I changed the front brakes myself and replaced the rotors and pads several months ago. I had the rear brakes done at the dealer about 2 weeks ago and they just turned the rear ones and replaced the pads. Seems like the vibration started shortly afterwards.

• snowball2 11/14/09 4:09 pm PST

Top Jeep Grand Cherokee Experts View More