• avatar mazdaowner2 09/06/08 5:20 pm PST

Sometimes its not the calipers that freeze up. When a brake job is performed, the sliders need cleaned and lubricated. I've seen more sliders make brakes grab, and wear out fast than I've seen the actual caliper lock up. Not to say that they didn't lock up, sometimes when the caliper piston is pushed in incorrectly, the seals inside can be damaged by setements. The thing is, whatever they did, replacing the caliper will fix the problem they caused, or was there at the ending life of your original brake pads!! Sliders being stuck could have been the last straw for the other brakes, just not caught by your mechanic.

Source: ASE master tech

Answers

There is no way a master cylinder failure would cause the brake caliper to lock up. Such failure would result in the loss of your brakes. When the dealer did the brake job he might have damaged the caliper when removing/installing the brake pads or failed to bleed the brake fluid properly to remove contaminants on the fluid that have now found their way into your caliper. I would seek a second opinion from an independent mechanic. It all sounds very fishy to me.

• obyone 08/20/08 2:37 pm PST

Sounds like you posted after the fact. Since your brake caliper froze I assume you had it towed to the dealership that did the work only to find a snow job awaiting you there.

You might want to file a complaint with your local BBB office. Of course the dealership wouldn't put a lie on paper so it will come down to their word against yours. Unfortunate for you in this case.

• crash227 09/04/08 10:51 pm PST

Most reputable repair shops and dealers will warranty their work but a problem that pops up after 1300 miles of driving is not always their fault. Calipers failing is one thing that they would not be responsible for. However, if they did not check and lubricate the caliper slide pins then they are at fault.

I have been doing my own brake jobs for the past several years after a few decades of paying to have it done. The cost was too high and the quality of work was poor far too often.

I have never heard of a Master Cylinder Failure causing calipers to freeze. Calipers usually freeze up because the brake fluid gets so old and contaminated that it causes the caliper to bind from corrosion or particulate/contaminant. Calipers also freeze up if the slide pins are corroded and/or are not lubricated properly. The slide pins should be removed, inspected, and lubricated during every brake job.

Most people don't do this but I have started draining and refilling my brake fluid at least every other brake job. With 50,000 miles on your Liberty, you should have already drained and refilled your brake fluid at least once. You can check the recommended drain/refill interval but 24 months or 24,000 miles would probably be about right. I switched all four (4) of our vehicles to premium synthetic brake fluid this year. Good Luck!

Source: 33 years of personal experience

• mazdaowner2 09/06/08 5:20 pm PST

Source: ASE master tech

Top Brakes Experts View More