• avatar lokki 04/28/09 5:41 pm PST

Well, let's start here - you could spend $50 to have your car professionally hand-waxed every three months for close to 5 years for $895.

These kind of treatments are generally considered to be a rip-off and simply pure profit for the car dealer.

You can apply something similar by applying polymer finishes lke "NuFinish","Zaino" or "Kasse" or a good traditional wax like "Mothers" or "Meguiars". Generally speaking the polymers last longer than the waxes.

Waxes tend to last roughly 2 months on average while the polymers are generally good for 3 months or so.

The xzilon coating from your dealer realistically isn't going to last any longer than any of the other polymer finishes. They may give you a warranty, but you should read it carefully.

For the interior, you can buy a can of Scotch Guard for upholstery if it's cloth, and you should use a real leather treatment for leather - and not some sealer - anyhow.

Finally, if you've decided that this particular product is the only thing that will do, I just found a website that will sell you a 16 oz bottle for $121.00. I think that for $774 dollars in savings you could put in on yourself.

Personally, I'd rather have $875 in my pocket and decide when and where I want to have the car waxed myself over the next 5 years.

Answers

I wouldn't pay a dealer $95 for a wax job, much less $895.

In fact, I don't even wax my cars. Why rub the clear coat off? Paint's a lot better these days and washing them now and then keeps them shiny.

Sealants are known in the trade as a mop & glow, and those packages are big profit centers (rip-offs, to put it another way). It's just wax.

Most anything on the shelf at WallyWorld should do fine. I'd avoid any "cleaner" wax or anything that sounds abrasive.

And check your owner's manual for recommendations.

Steve's right, dealer is trying to get $895 for about $10 of wax. It's not critical, I didn't wax my '96 Suburban, it still had shiney paint last year when I sold it. If you really want to, here's what Consumer Reports said (they don't have brands, last time they tested they like Turtle Wax and several others).

Liquid Waxes

Good for cleaning, gloss, and durability.
    But they can be more difficult to apply evenly and buff out. Most dry to a haze within about a minute, but this varies with wind, sunlight, and thickness of application.

Paste Waxes
    Good for ease of application.
    But overall performance is not as good as with liquids, and it can be difficult to remove wax from the container as you near the bottom. Paste waxes usually dry to a haze within 30 seconds.

Spray Waxes
    Good for new cars with excellent finishes. Also for convenience, plastic compatibility, ease of use, and spot waxing. They’re quick to apply and many can be wiped off without drying.
    But they are not good for cleaning and are the worst for durability.

• lokki 04/28/09 5:41 pm PST

• lisa08 04/28/09 5:53 pm PST

Thanks for the responses. Had no intentions of paying the dealer that much money. However, I decided to purchase a luxury car and wanted to make sure it has some protection on the highway and against mother nature.

Texas, thanks for explaining the different types of waxes. I'm going to stimulate the economy and put the neighbors son to work. lol

• crmeikle 01/27/13 10:25 pm PST

No, but there are many great wax products on the market ..... the protection of your vehicle would depend on your ability to regularly apply protection ..... I have the xzilon coating at this time .... and it is to early to evaluate .... but I know that every chance I got I was waxing my vehicle to keep it protected .... I just bought my new vehicel on new years eve with this coating .... I am pleased with the appearance ....There is a competetive called X1 Super Shine and Seal .... you have to get it on the internet ..... it proclaims to have a similar warranty .... what I've learned so far, is it is for exterior where Xzilon is interior and exterior ....

Bottom line, If you don't want to pay the $895, then you are looking at re-applying protection 4-6 times a year ... Cleaner wax followed by several new layers of protection .. which is what I did. My vehicles, even at 3 years old ... looked shinier than the brand new vehicles on the lot. It really depends on what you want your vehicle to look like, and how much time you want to spend getting it that way.

Xzilon coating is a short cut .... and I would definately purchase it again, as of right now ... again .... this is too early to evaluate.. but what I see at this point ... I would, indeed, purchase it again. To have a beautiful looking vehicle without having to spend anytime on it, gives me more time for other things.

• shiny2 02/24/13 2:18 pm PST

I got the Xzilon and dent doctor for $595...I think the dent doctor is worth the $10 bucks a month on the payment alone. I live in FL so love bugs/tree sap/bird doo are very common occurances.

• supergokuson 02/23/14 9:21 pm PST

I would say check this out i got the 32 ox wax and the 32oz waterless spray cleaner and the 32oz car wash liquid and the small metal polish all for 50 bux its a 7 year supply i mean Ferrari uses it on there cars they don’t use Xzilon the wax last 6 Months flawlessly and if you use the waterless cleaner on the wax you can heavenly extend the life of the wax beyond 6 months and I am talking No bird crap douse anything to my car No even spray pain it comes right off kinda crazy on that one but it douse work. I had Zxilon on one of my cars but after a year it kinda stomped beading up water and my dealer apply 2 couts of it . it was great at first but seamed to come off as bugs began to stick to my paint and in a couple places bird poo damaged the clear on my car. then i got t-boned and the car was totaled and on my new car i did not get Xzilon and i just wash and wax instead.

https://www.waxdirect.com/Scripts/defau
    l...

Top Paint Experts View More

7. lokki 55